PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] im new

yogesh1
July 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I had installed ubuntu 9.04..i had no sound..may be a driver problem..i had updated the latter as it instructed me..I had understood how to install the provided programs in the add remove programs option..I did it all yesterday,because today morning,the upper tool bar had disappear and i had to re-isntall ubuntu!I saw how you people run windows xp on linux,how you get a 3-d desktop,etc...but its totally different!I need help to get a pc like demonstrated on you tube..how to get the sound,how to run xp,how to run any program I was using on windows on linux,as i saw for some,it was made possible...i got a problem with my web cam and floppy drive also..please help me out!thanks in advanced!

scrooge_74
July 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Take it easy, in this cases is better if you make a separate thread for each problem

You have:

1. no sound
2. no tool bar on top
3. virtualizing XP
4. 3D desktops

1. open terminal type alsamixer
2. I think is gnome-panel from terminal
3. First learn to walk then you can run with it
4. Enable compiz, but first tells us what video card you have 9.04 has some issues with some video cards

yogesh1
July 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
i think its ATI Radeon

fbugnon
July 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu Forums!

You might want to look at the Ubuntu Official Documentation at to get familiarized with your new system (https://help.ubuntu.com/).

Regarding your questions:

I need help to get a pc like demonstrated on you tube..how to get the sound

Please provide further information on your hardware so that users can help you with this.

(...) I need help to get a pc like demonstrated on you tube..(...) how to run xp(...)

To run Windows inside Ubuntu (if that's what you're looking for) you can use VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org).

(...) I need help to get a pc like demonstrated on you tube..(...) how to run any program I was using on windows on linux

This can be achieved using Wine (www.winehq.org/), you can check their site to see what programs are supported.

Hope this helps.

scrooge_74
July 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
i think its ATI Radeon

Before going any further make sure what you have and research because ATIs are giving a hell of a time to people trying to use 9.04 seems ATI don't want do make new drivers. So you may have problems with 3D using 9.04.

I had to downgrade a friend to 8.04 because of this problem

yogesh1
July 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM
for the sound
creative sound blaster

and i regained the tool bar on re -installation

yogesh1
July 27th, 2009, 06:57 PM
i had downloaded virtual box,but there was no way of installing it

yogesh1
July 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM
do i have to downgrade me also?
however,I'll have to wait till next month(few days:)) for any download exceeding 50mb
my package limits to 3 Gb per month

yogesh1
July 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM
yes boss,its that ATI damn thing

yogesh1
July 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
ATI radeon 7000 (RV100)

fbugnon
July 27th, 2009, 07:08 PM
i had downloaded virtual box,but there was no way of installing it

It is easier to simple type (on a terminal):

sudo aptitude install virtualbox

Or, if you rather not use the terminal, go to Synaptic (Ubuntu graphical software manager), search for Virtualbox and check it to install it.

yogesh1
July 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM
sorry for lateness,but the programs are still being downloaded;
does linux have any download accelerator program?

ibuclaw
July 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM
sorry for lateness,but the programs are still being downloaded;
does linux have any download accelerator program?
In my personal opinion, download accelerators are a myth. So don't be fooled by it. =)

On a serious side. What are you downloading? Where are you downloading it from?

Regards
Iain

yogesh1
July 28th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I was downloading virtual box,but it cancelled!
re-downloading it!hope it'll work

yogesh1
July 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I've successfully installed virtual box,and a windows in it!however,in both the windows and linux ubuntu9.04,when I try to install my sound card,it says;
please ensure that your sound blaster hardware is properly installed before running this setup program

my sound card is "sound blaster live!5.1,creative"
my speakers are
"mercury",5.1

and how can I fit the window to screen?it stay in the middle of the screen,and does not fit screen even when i tried
Ctrl+A
Ctrl+F
Ctrl+G

thanks in advanced

scrooge_74
July 29th, 2009, 04:59 AM
For what is worth, I think you need to have your hardware properly config and running in linux so XP can detect it