PDA

View Full Version : web development. Any free state/county/city location.

hockey97
July 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi, I need data/information. I am making a website. I need State/county/city names. I am making some sort of market system. Where you can buy and sell stuff.

I need to catagize the listings in the manner of /state/county/city. I also want the user posting a listing to be able to select or type in the state/county/city. This way they can easily post a listing for the areas in a certain state/county/city.

This would be a painful process if I had to label all the information myself.

I would prefer to find a free database that would provide such information where I can just connect to it and do the queries. Otherwise I would need to put the data in myself.

Any ideas how I should go about doing this? Is their a better way?

Mirge
July 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Google around... there are plenty of databases around.

hockey97
July 27th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Google around... there are plenty of databases around.

I already tried goggling around. I didn't find any free database. I found like some that will charge 90 bucks a month for access to country/State(province)/county/city/zip codes/ area code.

all that for 90 bucks a month. I am hosting my own server and getting a fiber optic line. It's going to cost me close to 130 a month or 150 a month. I don't know the cost like tax and other charges that my ISP dosen't include.

So I am looking for some database that is free. If I can't find one. I will just create my own.

I just asked here if their is any database that is free and good and is commonly used by linux users. I would think I can get some suggestions from people that has a website already made and uses a free database already or know someone that used such a database for what I am looking for.

JordyD
July 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
http://tinyurl.com/mb2hf2

You must not have Googled very hard, my results brought me to a very popular open source database as a first result. Another one not far below it.

I do find it amusing that one claims to be the most popular, while the other claims to be the most advanced. Dunno about you, but I'd prefer 'advanced' to 'what everyone else is using'. Take a look at Windows, it's more popular, and less advanced.

That said, you should probably do some research on them or eeny, meeny, miny, moe, not base your choice on what they advertise.

Mirge
July 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I already tried goggling around. I didn't find any free database. I found like some that will charge 90 bucks a month for access to country/State(province)/county/city/zip codes/ area code.

all that for 90 bucks a month. I am hosting my own server and getting a fiber optic line. It's going to cost me close to 130 a month or 150 a month. I don't know the cost like tax and other charges that my ISP dosen't include.

So I am looking for some database that is free. If I can't find one. I will just create my own.

I just asked here if their is any database that is free and good and is commonly used by linux users. I would think I can get some suggestions from people that has a website already made and uses a free database already or know someone that used such a database for what I am looking for.

Free: http://databases.about.com/od/access/a/zipcodedatabase.htm
Low-cost: http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code-database.asp

2-3 minutes Google'ing..

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy helping others as much as the next guy here... but I appreciate the ones that do their research before asking..

hockey97
July 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM
http://tinyurl.com/mb2hf2

You must not have Googled very hard, my results brought me to a very popular open source database as a first result. Another one not far below it.

I do find it amusing that one claims to be the most popular, while the other claims to be the most advanced. Dunno about you, but I'd prefer 'advanced' to 'what everyone else is using'. Take a look at Windows, it's more popular, and less advanced.

That said, you should probably do some research on them or eeny, meeny, miny, moe, not base your choice on what they advertise.

What keyword did you used? I put database state/county/city/ data. I didn't find any one free database but found many over priced database services.

Thanks. I will check that site out.

JordyD
July 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
What keyword did you used? I put database state/county/city/ data. I didn't find any one free database but found many over priced database services.

Thanks. I will check that site out.

Nevermind, I totally misread your post. Ostrich-head has some pertinent links.

hockey97
July 27th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Free: http://databases.about.com/od/access/a/zipcodedatabase.htm
Low-cost: http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code-database.asp

2-3 minutes Google'ing..

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy helping others as much as the next guy here... but I appreciate the ones that do their research before asking..

I tried googling. I didn't use the keyword opensource database. In that keyword search mysql was the first to come up.

I am not looking for database software. I already have mysql.That was for the othe user above not to the one I quoted.

the links I saw for free is a Microsoft access file. I will search for more on google. I just wanted to know if anyone knows about a good database service that is free. Like that is connected to the internet. I can just connect to their server and do a query on their database type thing. I am gussing that won't be free.

Mirge
July 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I tried googling. I didn't use the keyword opensource database. In that keyword search mysql was the first to come up.

I am not looking for database software. I already have mysql.That was for the othe user above not to the one I quoted.

the links I saw for free is a Microsoft access file. I will search for more on google. I just wanted to know if anyone knows about a good database service that is free. Like that is connected to the internet. I can just connect to their server and do a query on their database type thing. I am gussing that won't be free.

Don't connect to an external DB on someone else's server, imo. That makes your site dependant on theirs... AKA, if they go down, so does some of your site's functionality. Take the free Access DB and convert it into a MySQL database if that's what you're using. Or buy the low-cost DB.

hockey97
August 8th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Don't connect to an external DB on someone else's server, imo. That makes your site dependant on theirs... AKA, if they go down, so does some of your site's functionality. Take the free Access DB and convert it into a MySQL database if that's what you're using. Or buy the low-cost DB.

ya, I know about your view point. Their is alot that goes into deciding if I should have it on my pc.

I just got my own business internet line. I have my own server. I just right now trying to figure out if it's a good idea.

I mean it will take up space... and bandwidth if I provide the database from my server. I will think about it. I want to have it on my own server but their is alot of factors I have to decide. I am going to buy a new computer. Later down the road I do plan to buy a raid card and buy some hard drives.

but I do understand where your coming from. It's all about reliability.
I right now am thinking to convert it to mysql.

Thanks for the input.