PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange Acer Veriton M661!

sams@work
July 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hi guys,

Apologies in advance if this is off-topic or in the wrong forum, but wasnt sure where else to post this... it is kinda to to with Ubuntu! Hopefully someone can offer some ideas...

I've just had two machines at work (both Acer Veriton M661's) which had Windows XP Pro on them and loaded up to the user login screen (incl in safe mode etc), but then crashed giving me a bluescreen. They were declared KIA by the boss so i took them home to muck about with and see if i could salvage them in any way.

I tried swapping various pieces of kit thinking it might be a hardware fault, but in the end by chance put a hard drive in with Ubuntu already installed from a different machine. It then booted perfectly and has in fact been running pretty much 24/7 as a media server for my ps3 etc for the last 3 months with no problems at all! The other box does exactly the same thing.

My question is, does anyone have a clue why the machine crashes with Windows, but runs perfectly with Ubuntu?

(i know, i know, Windows bites... but i'm still curious why one OS will work while the other wont :) )

Cheers for your help

Sam