PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing XFCE on Gnome Crashes and Error messges

itconsultant
July 27th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hello

I was trying to install xfce on a Ganome Ubuntu 8.04
I searched for 'xubuntu-desktop' in the synaptic, download started
while downloading firefox and seamonkey behaved notoriously.
Firefox had the profile not recognized...suddenly! I mean by 'not recognized' that
I found no bookmarks, and no even a 'bookmarks' toolbar there in the right-click menu.

It closes and disappears when I performed a google search
Same immediate closing happened whis Seamonkey.

I thought maybe a memory problem, while I have 1.5 GB RAM and Celeron 2.6

I waited until downloading finished and installation started, then I received the following two error messages with the title in the message box saying:
An error has occurred!" First one here, then when I click OK it displays the next smaller one:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/vim-runtime_1%3a7.1-138+1ubuntu3.1_all.deb: failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xfdesktop4_4.4.2-5ubuntu1.1_i386.deb: failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xfwm4_4.4.2-2ubuntu1_i386.deb: failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xfwm4-themes_4.4.2-1_all.deb: failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xubuntu-artwork-usplash_0.19_i386.deb: failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xubuntu-default-settings_0.39.1_all.deb: failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xubuntu-docs_8.04.2.1_all.deb: failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xfce4-places-plugin_1.0.0-1ubuntu1.1_i386.deb: failed to write status record about `libsoup2.4-1' to `/var/lib/dpkg/status'

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.I put the command into the command line from the application-run icon I put on the toolbar. I once didn't check the "run in terminal" and the other once I checked it..both brought nothing.

I thought it might be correct to do the installation again, but every time I open Synaptic, it gives me the same messages and close itself.

I also noticed the XFCE option in the Session Options log in menu, which means it's there!!

Now, what do you thing I should do to be able to use both Gnome and XFCE properly?

I am very new to Linux practice though :)

Thanks a lot

itconsultant
July 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I forgot to tell you ..

When I restarted machine, Firefox came back to normal..

I also forgot to tell you that this disappearance of bookmarks happened after trying to install three SEO addons, and Google toolbar, all of which were incompatible with current version of FF, thus not installed.
When I clicked "I agree" on the Google toolbar, the bookmarks disappeared.

Are these related?

I appreciate your help