PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Effects

weef
July 27th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Hi!!

I'm a newbie to Ubuntu and Ubuntuforums.org but not to Linux. I used to use Fedora 10 and yes I understand the difference between Red Hat based Os and a Debian based Os like Ubuntu. So I have the latest kernel (2.6.28-13-generic) and updates (as of Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:00 ET time). So I installed the following driver for my Nvidia 8300 256 MB RAM video card: Nvidia accelerated graphics version 180 which was recommended by Ubuntu. I got the driver through: System --> Administration --> Hardware Drivers. So as I tried to enable Desktop Effects through: System --> Preferences --> Appearance and the Visual Effects Tab. When I try to enable it on any level (Normal or Extra), my screen then flickers and finally the following message showed up: (!) Desktop Effects can not be enabled. So can anyone provide any support?

Thank you in advanced,
Weef

~sHyLoCk~
July 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM
See if
modprobe nvidia shows any error. Usually this happens when you don't have the driver installed, which you have.

weef
July 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Nope, No error.

weef
July 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Umm anyone?????????

chrisinspace
July 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM
If you install the compiz-gnome package, it will install a more robust implementation than the default Ubuntu desktop effects. You can then use the Compiz settings manager to enable/disable specific plugins. It may just be that one of the plugins is not playing well with your system.