PDA

View Full Version : Trying Arch Linux...

tom66
July 27th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Well I have some spare time and a 15.7 GiB partition. So I've decided I'd try to install Arch, to get Linux experience and because I want a snappier system. Already got past install now the setup of my system.

Wish me luck... I'll need it.

Greg
July 27th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Just remember, the wiki is your friend.

chris200x9
July 27th, 2009, 01:13 AM
good luck you'll love it!

Skripka
July 27th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Wish me luck... I'll need it.

No you won't. Just read, and be thorough, and triple check your work. It looks a great deal worse than it is.

Come to The Dark Side, We Have Tacos.

K.Mandla
July 27th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Tacos?! Cool!

No joke though, Arch is a lovely distro. You'll enjoy it.

chris4585
July 27th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Just make sure to read the arch beginners guide... You wont make it without it.

Jimleko211
July 27th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Use the wiki. Without it, you're sunk.

.Maleficus.
July 27th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Arch is a great distro. As others have said, use the wiki, use the Beginner's Guide and most of all be patient. After you have everything setup the way you want, you'll never go back to another distro. The control and flexibility and, well, everything about it rocks.

Raffles10
July 27th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I used Arch for the past three months and decided to come back to Ubuntu after trying 9.04, it feels quicker and more responsive and it boots faster as well. After editing those text files to get things set up and taking the time necessary to iron out all the little niggles, I found I was no better off than doing a 30 mins Ubuntu install. ;-)

The grass is always greener...:-k

Dimitriid
July 27th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I used Arch for the past three months and decided to come back to Ubuntu after trying 9.04, it feels quicker and more responsive and it boots faster as well. After editing those text files to get things set up and taking the time necessary to iron out all the little niggles, I found I was no better off than doing a 30 mins Ubuntu install. ;-)

The grass is always greener...:-k

On a good system I can see the performance difference being very close. But from what I can tell you rolling release is key here: Ubuntu needs to update the entire system every few months and it never goes completely smooth from one version to the next one.

If you already set up Arch you can pretty much forget about it for a good while, maybe even for good.

earthpigg
July 27th, 2009, 05:56 AM
as the poster above stated, arch DOES boot slow.

MaxIBoy
July 27th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I've never used Arch, but I've still found the wiki useful in the past. I think that really reflects well on it.

Greg
July 27th, 2009, 06:16 AM
as the poster above stated, arch DOES boot slow.

Quick-init/fast-init speed things up...

tjwoosta
July 27th, 2009, 06:23 AM
My arch boots faster then jaunty, maybe because it loads fewer daemons?

CJ Master
July 27th, 2009, 06:26 AM
My arch boots faster then jaunty, maybe because it loads fewer daemons?

+1, I'm not sure why people think that the boot is slow...? Blazing fast for me. Faster then jaunty.

MaxIBoy
July 27th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Once again, I've never used Arch, but isn't the whole point of Arch such that there is no "typical" Arch system, and thus no "typical" Arch boot time?

hessiess
July 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM
For me arch boots much faster than Ubuntu, I just have it booting to a terminal, no login manager or splash screen as these slow down the boot time a lot. Also I hardly ever reboot, just suspend to ram.