PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] black screen blinking cursor when trying to install

Flamepattern
July 27th, 2009, 12:46 AM
ok this is is some background to problem my freind go a compaq computer from a freind and it was filled with viruses so i tried doing what i can to make windows work again obviously it failed so i figured i could load ubuntu on it and just teach him how to use it.
i hae set the cd-rom as the boot device in bios as well as hitting escape during bootup to select boot device and i did burn the cd using an image burner so it is correct ive even opened the cd on a different comp to check anyways the problem is my post title it will go throught the compaq bios startup and then go to a blank black screen with a blinking cursor int he top left corner i am unable to type anyhtign in or select anyhting i read a post about it having to do somethign with the intel video chipset and there was a fix but i am unable to try it since i do not get any options and jus teh black screen anyone know of a fix to this also i cannot boot windows on the machine thanks for your help and time

ps: please excuse the spelling and grammatical errors im typing on a laptop

jerrrys
July 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM
804 works well with older computers. whats your system specs?