PDA

View Full Version : Lok how many viruses I have!!!

Excedio
July 27th, 2009, 12:33 AM
NOT!

Some stupid website trying to fool people into getting their crappy software that's probbly full of viruses.

ghindo
July 27th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I work at a computer help desk and see people fall for this all the time. If you aren't too technically inclined and are using Windows XP, these sorts of sites can be very convincing.

markharding557
July 27th, 2009, 12:44 AM
an hosts file from bluetack will block most of these they can be a pest in linux when they lock the browser

lisati
July 27th, 2009, 12:45 AM
NOT!

Some stupid website trying to fool people into getting their crappy software that's probbly full of viruses.

This one has been around for a while

Excedio
July 27th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Got it from here

http://www.mediafire.com/?3mndrhfjkc2

SunnyRabbiera
July 27th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Yeh they dont fool me, its easy to see that linux doesnt use C or D drives and that the windows explorer look alike falls apart as soon as you realise windows explorer cannot run inside firefox, not even in windows.

Eviltechie
July 27th, 2009, 02:02 AM
It's that ](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,) page again. Be sure that you report that site. That scam almost got my mom, but she got me and had me take care of it before it did anything bad.

razorboy5
July 27th, 2009, 02:02 AM
yea almost fell for it awhile ago

loving that Linux has virtually no viruses :D or i mean all the "holes" are patched

tcoffeep
July 27th, 2009, 02:03 AM
People aren't tired of posting the Linux running the anti-virus pics? That - is so tired.

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 02:40 AM
NOT!

It happened to me couple of times and I have to admit, it was funny! :D:popcorn:

philcamlin
July 27th, 2009, 02:45 AM
my mom fell for that once but i fixed it :)

JohnnySage50307
July 27th, 2009, 02:47 AM
My aunt, in her working career, kept a copy of each virus she encountered from the day she started working until the day she retired on a 120GB hard drive (naturally, as technology got better, she flashed the drive onto a newer model). Her comment about it was that everyone needs a hobby! :-P

steveneddy
July 27th, 2009, 03:31 AM
OMG! I will get a virus if I read this thread or look at the included pic!

Oh no! I did that already!

Someone help me get rid of these viruseses.

SunnyRabbiera
July 27th, 2009, 03:35 AM
People aren't tired of posting the Linux running the anti-virus pics? That - is so tired.

Well this add can fool a lot of newcomers initially, after all the page mimics windows explorer so well in terms of looks.
This ad is very new, it only appeared recently so someone who has moved from XP to Linux will wonder how they got "infected".
The wolf in sheep's clothing, the user does not see how the file browser and the web browser are seperate as if one uses IE in windows they also use windows explorer... they are practically the same thing.

Rishkaa
July 27th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Haha, I remember a long time ago when I didn't know better. Some site kept redirecting me to a fake anti-virus detector that also used the style of Windows Explorer. It claimed I had a couple hundred viruses, (and, stupidly enough, on the D drive too). At first, I freaked out and thought Norton had deserted me (not that i put too much faith in it, if any). I eventually learned that the net is full of such scams--surprise?--and I hightailed it out of there before the site could do anything to my comp, as it was functioning fine.

It's kind of funny now, but, back then... :eek:

Excedio
July 27th, 2009, 05:29 AM

You'll get over it. I thought it would be good for a laugh. Don't like it....very simple solution.....don't look at my thread.

Giant Speck
July 27th, 2009, 05:42 AM
This is like the fourth thread I've seen about the exact same pop-up.

SamJosRob
July 27th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I cracked up the first time I saw this. You'd have to wake me up pretty early in the morning, and hit me with a wrench, to get me to fall for that.

chriskin
July 27th, 2009, 06:17 AM
is that your real ip there on the left? nice :)

starcannon
July 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I agree with previous posters; this "haha" has been done to death. Lurk moar.

Nburnes
July 27th, 2009, 07:51 AM
To the OP you might wanna cover up your IP address, it says where you live in it also.

Dullstar
July 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM
That is so hilarious.

Giant Speck
July 27th, 2009, 07:57 AM
The irony is funny. In an attempt to make fun of a false advertisement for security software, the OP gave away his IP address to the world.

lisati
July 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM
To the OP you might wanna cover up your IP address, it says where you live in it also.

To the non-believers: try www.whatismyipaddress.com

moster
July 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Why you think he should hide it? Is that much security really necessary, if he not breaking some laws and do not want to get caught.

chriskin
July 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Why you think he should hide it? Is that much security really necessary, what could happend?

last time someone let his ip here, a fellow ubuntuforums member logged into his router easily, and then told him that he did, in order to go and hide his ip
if he was not of such a good character, he could have changed all of his settings, causing major trouble and confusion

unless one is truly sure that your security is flawless, he should avoid such steps :) - considering of course that he is afraid , cause i can't see why anyone would mess your options just for fun

Dullstar
July 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Isn't there some kind of security thing on those routers that can be used to prevent that stuff?

Viva
July 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM
The curiosity is killing me. Somebody send me the link:mad:

chriskin
July 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Isn't there some kind of security thing on those routers that can be used to prevent that stuff?

some routers do not allow external connection
some do

that's why i said , you have to be sure for your security to let your ip seen

Nburnes
July 27th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Why you think he should hide it? Is that much security really necessary, if he not breaking some laws and do not want to get caught.

Because there are ways of tracking it all the way back to the house that he lives in?

chriskin
July 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Because there are ways of tracking it all the way back to the house that he lives in?

by the way, i would really like that :P
when i search for my ip online, i get the central office of OnTelecoms instead of my house :P

Dullstar
July 27th, 2009, 08:34 AM
That is interesting...

chriskin
July 27th, 2009, 08:35 AM
That is interesting...

what is interesting?

moster
July 27th, 2009, 08:36 AM
last time someone let his ip here, a fellow ubuntuforums member logged into his router easily, and then told him that he did, in order to go and hide his ip
if he was not of such a good character, he could have changed all of his settings, causing major trouble and confusion

unless one is truly sure that your security is flawless, he should avoid such steps :) - considering of course that he is afraid , cause i can't see why anyone would mess your options just for fun
Hm, really something to think about. But somehow it is hard to believe. I thought ISP would then hide it by default, no?

It find where is my ISP connection, and that is on other side of my country. I think somebody would have to contact my ISP to get my real location.

Only microsoft lovers hate me here, so I guess I am safe from theirs WinXPs :D

starcannon
July 27th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Remote Administration is turned OFF by default on consumer level routers; in addition you should set your Administrator USERNAME and PASSWORD to something secure. I set both as very long passwords, I then write them on paper, do a pagan ceremony involving rubber chickens, and ending with me eating the piece of paper I wrote the secure username and password down on.

Nburnes
July 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
My IP address in a tracker went all the way back to my house, not my ISP.

lisati
July 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
You'd be surprised what someone at the other end can learn: one place to check is the previously mentioned www.whatismyipaddress.com - another is www.ipchicken.com (http://ipchicken.com)

chriskin
July 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM
You'd be surprised what someone at the other end can learn: one place to check is the previously mentioned www.whatismyipaddress.com (http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/) - another is www.ipchicken.com (http://ipchicken.com/)

first gets my ip, second gets a mistaken number

can you tell me which tracker?

Remote Administration is turned OFF by default on consumer level routers

definitely not true
i had to set mine to "off" manually. not everyone uses the bleeding edge routers of the last one or two years :)

Dullstar
July 27th, 2009, 08:43 AM
That's even possible?

By the way, no one post instructions to track IP adresses or I whip out the report post function!

moster
July 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Maybe it just happend to live in city where your ISP have connection. I guess you live in some big city. Try this.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

chriskin
July 27th, 2009, 08:46 AM
That's even possible?

By the way, no one post instructions to track IP adresses or I whip out the report post function!

tools are tools
the way to use them is up to the individual

for example
a knife can help you get your food ready, or kill anyone you see - that's your choice
or something more relevant to these forums
aircrack-ng is in ubuntu's repositories if i am not mistaken - one can use it to check his security or crack someone's wep, the choice is up to him.

magh-87
July 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Interesting, http://whatismyipaddress.com/ locates my IP from the cousin's street from the other side of town. I guess it's not that accurate after all :p

starcannon
July 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
That's even possible?

If anyone posted that information here, "report post" may get the post removed; it would not, however, get the "13,200,000 for how to track an ip address location. (0.25 seconds)" hits from google removed.

Paranoia they destroy ya.

Dullstar
July 27th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I just wouldn't have it on these forums, whatever!

lisati
July 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Interesting, http://whatismyipaddress.com/ locates my IP from the cousin's street from the other side of town. I guess it's not that accurate after all :p

I think it depends on the general area assigned to the block of IP addresses your ISP uses and what level of information is recorded. The nearest it's got for me has been a location about a thirty-minute walk from my place. I checked the IP address I learned from email headers for some people I know once, and for a couple of them the map was centred on Mount Eden prison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Eden_Prisons) - spooky!

edit: here's a weird one: sometimes whatismyipaddress tells me on dial-up - I'm not!

magh-87
July 27th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I think it depends on the general area assigned to the block of IP addresses your ISP uses and what level of information is recorded. The nearest it's got for me has been a location about a thirty-minute walk from my place. I checked the IP address I learned from email headers for some people I know once, and for a couple of them the map was centred on Mount Eden prison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Eden_Prisons) - spooky!

You know a few people browsing the net behind bars, eh? Hope they're causing less trouble now than before!

lisati
July 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM
You know a few people browsing the net behind bars, eh? Hope they're causing less trouble now than before!

Not really: it came back with the prison map reference one time for someone whom I knew to be 600km away at the time they sent the email.

magh-87
July 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Not really: it came back with the prison map reference one time for someone whom I knew to be 600km away at the time they sent the email.

I was being sarcastic : These things aren't always accurate and some times they're dead on. All of the above mentioned links identified my IP address but not necessarily my location. With my IP address it would be easy enough to find my location though.

heroidi
July 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I used to have a program in ubuntu forgot the name it could find what OS you're using through you're ip but that was not possible here where i live because all have public ip.

chriskin
July 27th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I used to have a program in ubuntu forgot the name it could find what OS you're using through you're ip but that was not possible here where i live because all have public ip.

the ip won't change if you change your operating system
so, i think you have misunderstood

starcannon
July 27th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I just wouldn't have it on these forums, whatever!

Heres some structions on lojack.
http://www.helium.com/items/353689-how-to-set-up-a-lojack-for-your-linux-computer

heroidi
July 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
the ip won't change if you change your operating system
so, i think you have misunderstood

i just wanted to tell about that IP tracking program forgot the name it was zenmap or something like that so you cant log on someones pc if you have public IP that was the point i wanted to get on with that post

chriskin
July 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM
i just wanted to tell about that IP tracking program forgot the name it was zenmap or something like that so you cant log on someones pc if you have public IP that was the point i wanted to get on with that post

can't say that your post makes sense to me - even if i try to understand i can't seem to see why that is even close to what you were saying before

anyway
probably it's my fault
or not
:)

lisati
August 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Interesting advert (see screenshot) - I'm using Ubuntu and reading about Ubuntu, and the website recommends Windows software!

Giant Speck
August 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Interesting advert (see screenshot) - I'm using Ubuntu and reading about Ubuntu, and the website recommends Windows software!

What I find more interesting is that you are reading an article about something Linux related on a website that has a tab for Mac and one for Windows but not one for Linux. :p

lisati
August 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM
What I find more interesting is that you are reading an article about something Linux related on a website that has a tab for Mac and one for Windows but not one for Linux. :p

Well spotted - I hadn't even noticed!