PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Dictionary

jaime256
July 26th, 2009, 11:12 PM
How come I can't remove this Thai-English dictionary in Ubuntu 9.04? I want to just use the English and Spanish, but only the English seems to be working. Does anyone have any idea since I don't speak or read Thai. I get this error message. Thanks.

matt79
July 26th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I am not sure but I am guessing that you are having trouble removing it do to the rights of the computer settings. Are you sure that you are root when you are performing this?

jaime256
July 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks, but I'm the regular user you first set up when you install the OS. I guess that may do it too. Everything else lets you add remove stuff without being root so I'm not sure why this is. If not, the system normally asks for the password to let you do other stuff.

Well, just tried to remove that again today and still can't do it.

jaime256
July 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
test post...

jaime256
August 2nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
So has anyone else tried removing this Thai-English dictionary? I can't get that out and the spanish dictionary still not working for me either. I don't mind trying a few more things to see if I can make it work, but I know I don't need Thai. Can someone else try to remove the Thai if you don't need it and let me know if you're getting the same thing. Thanks.

jaime256
August 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Well, I'm still on this pesky problem, but this time I managed to break Ubuntu, without trying to boot. I went to the synaptec manager and searched for Thai, and just uninstalled that. Needless to say it brought the computer down to the prompt only and well, the pictures I'm attaching. So now I can't get to the desktop again. Ahhh...

Any ideas on how to fix this with the cd without overwriting the whole drive? I don't want to reinstall, just fix it the current install.

jaime256
August 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Does anyone know if Ubuntu has a fix/restore feature on the cd? I just want to fix the corrupt files from there if that's possible. I just put the cd in and all it tells me is that it sees the other installation and that it can install it again side by side. I don't want that, I want to just fix the old install. I'm not sure if this can be done from here though. Any ideas? Thanks.

jaime256
August 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I found out there is something at the beginning, but you have to press a key to get to it. I forgotten about this and saw it again after reinstalling the OS next to the old one. Unfortunately I still can't get the old one figured out so I guess I have to do this the old way if I have to.

Well, I ended up using another machine to get my stuff and just re-installing all of this drive. I hope this messed up dictionary gets fixed. I don't need Thai because I don't speak Thai. I need Spanish. I need to help people who speak Spanish, hence my need to make sure my dictionary works. I also don't want other dictionaries installed that I don't need.