PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very Urgent please help!!!

InkedScales
July 26th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hi I was going to be installing ubuntu tonight but have come across abit of a problem I downloaded the disc as instructed on the site and was told to burn the iso to a disc however found that it didnt download an iso. file but had lots of files much like on an installation disk and thought oh nm i dont need to ill just stick all this to disk, however when i did that it wouldnt load from the disk so I thought maybe somewhere in all the files there is an iso. that I need to use to burn them all properly to the disc however when Ive tried to use infra recorder i cant find an iso file anywhere in the bunch of downloaded file even in the folder called isolinux....

please does anyone know the problem??

thanks

drs305
July 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM
InkedScales

Welcome to Ubuntu. The file you downloaded should have been a single iso file of about 700MB. If it isn't, you will probably need to download it again. Once you have the iso file downloaded, you burn it to a CD and if you look at the contents of the burned CD, then (and only then) should you see lots of files.

Here is the link to the Install wiki:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Teabicky
July 26th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I haven't come accross this when downloading the .iso. Just to make sure I have put a link to "get ubuntu".

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

InkedScales
July 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
thank you bothI have tried the download again and it is the file again, and its the same place u both sent me, but the download gave me an option to open with Nero burner so Im hopeingthis will work Il try that and if not Ill come back to u and if u ahve any idweas in the mean time please Id be mroe than grateful :)

merlinus
July 26th, 2009, 11:15 PM
What is the name of the file you are trying to download? It should end with .iso, and choose to save it to your hdd.

Then burn it as a disk image.

InkedScales
July 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM
it wasnt showing me a file name :S and the other thing ive tried hasnt worked but this time I looked into mroe programs and its let me use the infrarecorder to download it and save it as an image file, I have a feeling I may have been clicking open each time instead of save :S how stupid am i lol, anyway Im gonna try this now and hope that it works :p

InkedScales
July 26th, 2009, 11:38 PM
right this time its downloaded an .iso file and im now writing it to disk so hopefully this time will work :D thanks for all the help guys

Teabicky
July 26th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Glad you got it sorted... here's to the first of many challenges just waiting to be overcome.

InkedScales
July 27th, 2009, 12:30 AM
thanks Teabicky :D right I have definitely got it sorted now im sat here on my mums laptop while its installing i did have an issue that it was outputting to my tv instead of what I want to be the main monitor and it wasnt formatted for the resolution so was off the screen lol but i sorted that i just unplugged the tv from it, not its at 49% but I was wandering does anyone know how to set up dual monitors? as I can already see it may be a problem lol and also how long roughly does it take to install this would u say?? thanks again

InkedScales
July 27th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Rubbish i need help again please I just installed ubuntu and restarted it like it says and now its saying disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter now im not sure if this has anything to do with this but the hard drive I used for my root file pre dates vista and wont work if u use that for ur OS for vista could it be that ubuntu 9.4 or whatever it is wont work on it either??

Teabicky
July 27th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Is your BIOS still set to cd-rom instead of your HDD? This might cause that error message.

blazemore
July 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
It sounds like the bootloader didn't install correctly. Try reinstalling Ubuntu, but burn the disk again using the slowest speed possible.