PDA

View Full Version : best open source dock

windows-killer
July 26th, 2009, 10:21 PM
anyone ever heard of Rocketdock?
Rocketdock is an open source dock for windows, can anyone port it to ubuntu. its under creative commons license, is that an issue?

collinp
July 26th, 2009, 10:27 PM
We already have quite a few application docks for Linux, namely Avant Window Navigator (https://launchpad.net/awn) and Cairo Dock (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CairoDock).

windows-killer
July 26th, 2009, 10:33 PM
We already have quite a few application docks for Linux, namely Avant Window Navigator (https://launchpad.net/awn) and Cairo Dock (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CairoDock).

whats your point? we already have more than 10 video editors, and there are still making some from scratch/fork
ohh and they dont even work.

Tipped OuT
July 26th, 2009, 11:00 PM

Well...

Avant Window Navigator- Stable, good looking, and simple

Cairo Dock- Buggy, good looking, highly customizable

You choose what works best for you.

whats your point? we already have more than 10 video editors, and there are still making some from scratch/fork

...What's your problem? He's trying to help you. He's giving you alternatives, as well as me.

cariboo
July 26th, 2009, 11:12 PM
There are 3 ways to get it ported:

Do it yourself
Find someone who finds it interesting enough to port it.
Pay saomeone to do it

DeadSuperHero
July 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM

I find this statement to be incredibly subjective. KDEnlive works great for me, thanks.

So, aside from trolling forums, what do you like to do for a living? Read any good books lately?

Frutol
July 26th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I use Gnome-DO with the docky theme, and it's quite good

_sAm_
July 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM
anyone ever heard of Rocketdock?
Rocketdock is an open source dock for windows, can anyone port it to ubuntu. its under creative commons license, is that an issue?

Try Gnome Do(http://do.davebsd.com/), its in Synaptic. It comes with a nice dock much like Rocektdock.

windows-killer
July 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM
There are 3 ways to get it ported:

Do it yourself
Find someone who finds it interesting enough to port it.
Pay saomeone to do it

sorry am not a pc geek, am asking if one of you here can do the job! I see lots of commands flying around this site so am sure those who post them are talented enough to port an application. however I do understand that some of you dont write these commands originally.
btw is awn a dead project? I haven't seen any releases long time now

ps: a pc is just a tool for me:KS

windows-killer
July 26th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Try Gnome Do(http://do.davebsd.com/), its in Synaptic. It comes with a nice dock much like Rocektdock.

I already tried gnome-do, it looks great but it crashes/freezes my pc.

speedwell68
July 27th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I use Gnome-DO with the docky theme, and it's quite good

I don't do 'docks', but if I had to use one that is the one I would choose.:D

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 12:02 AM
btw I dont mind buying a dock, as long as it works in ubuntu.

fabounet
July 28th, 2009, 12:48 AM
try Cairo-Dock2 : stable, good looking, highly customizable ;-)
then try the others too, because after all you're in the GNU world, take advantage of it.

windows-killer
July 28th, 2009, 01:03 AM
try Cairo-Dock2 : stable, good looking, highly customizable ;-)
then try the others too, because after all you're in the GNU world, take advantage of it.

I tried it, very unstable, hard to use, crashes and it has some annoying behavior. Gnome -do seems to be my fav but it crashes and it forgets some of the settings I change, I hope it will be fixed in the next release, does anyone know when the next version will be released?

Tipped OuT
July 28th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I tried it, very unstable, hard to use, crashes and it has some annoying behavior. Gnome -do seems to be my fav but it crashes and it forgets some of the settings I change, I hope it will be fixed in the next release, does anyone know when the next version will be released?

AWN (Avant Window Navigator). Try that.

And I agree, Cairo Dock is very unstable.

Favux
July 28th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Cairo Dock is very unstable.

I don't find that to be true. You may have video card/driver issues that prevent you from running it OpenGL (-o). If so just change it the Cairo (-c) and I think you'll find it's quite stable. The advantage over AWN is you can move it from the bottom (to the sides etc). Plus it is very nice eye candy and functional too.

Tipped OuT
July 28th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I don't find that to be true. You may have video card/driver issues that prevent you from running it OpenGL (-o). If so just change it the Cairo (-c) and I think you'll find it's quite stable. The advantage over AWN is you can move it from the bottom (to the sides etc). Plus it is very nice eye candy and functional too.

Sorry to burst your bubble but, I use OpenGL with Cairo Dock. It's buggy. Crashes a lot too. I have the latest version, everything installed correctly (Look at my screen shots, in the screen shot thread).

Cairo Dock is great (especially for customization) once you get pass the buggy-ness. I only use Cairo Dock for when I'm using a Mac clone theme. Otherwise, I stick with AWN.

We all have our opinions though. You say Cairo Dock is not buggy, I say it is.

Just like when someone says Vista isn't slow, and someone else says it is. :P

Opinions, opinions.

racerraul
July 28th, 2009, 06:04 AM
SUch is the nature of not having a controlled environment. Results will vary as much as the variables...

Giant Speck
July 28th, 2009, 06:21 AM
The only one I can stand using is Cairo Dock, because it allows me to make a dock that is nothing but launchers. Avant Window Manager and Docky both have taskbar-like qualities that I don't like.

Tipped OuT
July 28th, 2009, 06:33 AM
The only one I can stand using is Cairo Dock, because it allows me to make a dock that is nothing but launchers. Avant Window Manager and Docky both have taskbar-like qualities that I don't like.

Well it's because they're based on OS X's dock.

Cairo Dock always has the upper advantage in customization.

sertse
July 28th, 2009, 06:48 AM

Wbar :) Though it bit too...simple for you.

Easily the lightest dock though and works without compositing.

binbash
July 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I use Gnome-Do with docky

betrunkenaffe
July 28th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I personally like Cairo dock.

That being said I do find it a little buggy. I like to have it auto hide but that prevents me from putting it on the sides of my desktop since it seems to have issues with the recall zones on the sides of the screen. Works on the sides fine if I don't auto hide it. I also have found that if I accidentally drop a subdock onto the desktop, it splits it off and I don't know how to get it back on. I just save my layout and reload it when it corrupts. It has rarely crashed out (and when it did, it was because Compiz crashed out fairly bad and took Cairo with it).

collinp
July 28th, 2009, 08:37 AM
You know, if they would actually implement dock positioning into AWN, I would be very happy.

Didn't they say they was doing that next release, or was it running without OpenGL, or both? I cannot remember.

bryonak
July 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I used AWN at first, but Cairo-Dock's customisability got me. Way better launcher/application list management and I don't like my dock at the bottom ;)

Gnome-Do itself is fine, but Docky was quite buggy when I tried it. And I couldn't figure out how to make fixed order launchers. Might be better now.

As for Cairo-Dock 2 with OpenGL on a Nvidia GPU... it's fast, looks nice, enhances usability and I haven't encountered a single bug yet :)
(or better say "new bug", since the subdock handling still isn't optimal)

I personally like Cairo dock.

That being said I do find it a little buggy. I like to have it auto hide but that prevents me from putting it on the sides of my desktop since it seems to have issues with the recall zones on the sides of the screen. Works on the sides fine if I don't auto hide it. I also have found that if I accidentally drop a subdock onto the desktop, it splits it off and I don't know how to get it back on. I just save my layout and reload it when it corrupts. It has rarely crashed out (and when it did, it was because Compiz crashed out fairly bad and took Cairo with it).

Do you have the desktop cube turned on? This impairs autohiding on the screen side.

treesurf
July 28th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Gnome-Do Docky FTW!

RiceMonster
July 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM
sorry am not a pc geek, am asking if one of you here can do the job! I see lots of commands flying around this site so am sure those who post them are talented enough to port an application. however I do understand that some of you dont write these commands originally.

Using the command line and programming are two completely different things. Porting an application to a different platform can be a lot of work. People don't like being aksed by someone else to do a whole bunch of coding.

PuddingKnife
July 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I've found Cairo-Dock to be extremely buggy. AWN is nice, but it doesn't have the OSX/Cairo-Dock "fish-eye" effect that I love.

betrunkenaffe
July 28th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Do you have the desktop cube turned on? This impairs autohiding on the screen side.

Ooo, I will try without that once I fix my profile. :P I didn't know that.

windows-killer
July 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Wbar is dead. the latest version is from 2007 and we are in 2009:D
ill just wait for the next release of G-D looks very promising.
does anyone know the release date of G-D?

bluebyt
July 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I use Cairo-Dock and it is very stable for me, the only thing I don't like is the background, but you can changed it. (look at the screenshot)

windows-killer
July 28th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I use Cairo-Dock and it is very stable for me, the only thing I don't like is the background, but you can changed it. (look at the screenshot)

I used cairo dock as well but the background was not transparent. I auto hide the dock and every time when I was trying to make it appear it would cause the screen to act weird (compiz)
other than that it looks good.

joey-elijah
July 29th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I've found Cairo-Dock to be extremely buggy. AWN is nice, but it doesn't have the OSX/Cairo-Dock "fish-eye" effect that I love.

Gnome-Do's Docky has it and is the most "OS X" like of any dock.

Tipped OuT
July 29th, 2009, 01:08 AM
How'd you get that separator??

Gnome-Do's Docky has it and is the most "OS X" like of any dock.

Lol. No it's not. Cairo Dock is. Docky is just another flat bar dock (not saying it's not good though).

Warpnow
July 29th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Its insulting to say Gnome-Do Docky is OSX like...gnome-do is easily the most innovative dock possibility. Gnome-do itself was amazing, but in dock form it is truly a spectacular increase in efficiency.

Most docks serve as eye candy launchers that slow you down more than anything. Gnome-do Docky can actually speed you up. Why need launchers? You can launch ANY application from it just by typing the name.

fabounet
July 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
hum, just to say that you can "launch any application just by typing the name" in Cairo-Dock 2.1 ;-)

PS : when you find a bug on Cairo-Dock, please report it on cairo-dock.org, it will help the community :-) Thanks !