PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Old Live CD

Rhyn Weatherhead
July 26th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I have Ubuntu 9.04
I also have a PC Mag's customised 6.10 Live Cd, its loaded to the Max with a zillion programs & Games. I am desperate for the games and the programs.
I tried installing the 6.10 first and then updating to 9.04 but you need like every CD in between 9.04 and 6.10 if you plan to do it without internet and I dont have all the Cd's?
and updating to 9.04 directly just didn't work? I tired a few different methods to al f2 Cdrom/cdromupgrade command but nothin ever happened?

I think you need all the CD's in between 9.04 and 6.10 to upgrade sing the cd's again I havn't got the Bandwidth to download the Cd's I'm missing 7.10?

So Installed is the 9.04 when I insert the 6.10 customised edition the Updater runs and tells me there are updates avail, but when I go into the pacakes avail none of the games or programes are listed or options /avail.

Does anyone know how to install the games directly to the PC.
Getting them from a Live CD.

I'm going to assume that this might take more than a week to resolve I'm prepared to wait and make this post worth while for others who might have the same difficulies I have am experiencing with this?

Many Thanks to anyone preapared to help.

All help apprecaited!
Rhyn W

redspider
July 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM
you could turn the live cd into its own repository. but idk anything about that.
bump

Rhyn Weatherhead
July 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Would turning it into its own repository enable me to access the files on it? DUK About That? Thanks for Reply

scorp123
July 26th, 2009, 11:03 PM
its loaded to the Max with a zillion programs & Games Wouldn't those games and programs be so totally outdated and obsolete now? :confused:

Why not write down the names of those games and programs (I suppose there is an index file or some "README.TXT" file or something like that somewhere that lists the contents of the CD?) and then get the current versions from the repos, from web sites such as getdeb.net and so on? :D

scorp123
July 26th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Does anyone know how to install the games directly to the PC. Getting them from a Live CD. And why don't you run this thing in a virtual machine, e.g. VirtualBox?

This would allow you to find out the name of the games, the exact file name of the package it got installed from and you could use Google in parallel and check if there are newer versions for your current Ubuntu 9.04 ....

I'd do it like that.

Rhyn Weatherhead
July 27th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I simply do not have the bandwidth capabilities.
I still order my ubuntu Cd's via the post and wait for them.
Very Sad: "one day bandwidth will be affordable in South Africa", perhaps the most expensive internet in the world? True Story.

So I have to figure this out one way or another! I think its worth it there are over 50 programs and games in total.