PDA

View Full Version : Creating a VPN Connection

Geffers
July 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have an Acer Aspire One, within network manager the 'add' button for VPN is greyed out.

I installed pptp-linux using synaptic but still the add option is greyed out.

Is there some extra package I need to install.

Geoff Lane

Geffers
July 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have an Acer Aspire One, within network manager the 'add' button for VPN is greyed out.

I installed pptp-linux using synaptic but still the add option is greyed out.

Is there some extra package I need to install.

Geoff Lane

Strangely I would have thought that as network-manager had a VPN option then it would be ready to go but I installed network-manager-pptp and now the 'add' option is valid.

Geffers

synapsys
July 27th, 2009, 05:03 AM
That's because you're using netbook remix. It leaves a lot of packages un-installed that are installed by default on the full blown version. I suppose this would be in the interest of saving disk space as some netbooks have teeny tiny ssd hard drives.

Geffers
July 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
That's because you're using netbook remix. It leaves a lot of packages un-installed that are installed by default on the full blown version. I suppose this would be in the interest of saving disk space as some netbooks have teeny tiny ssd hard drives.

Yes true but the pptp-linux package is not too big and I would have thought an attraction of the netbook was convenient remote connections and VPN can be useful.

Geffers

synapsys
July 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM
It is very useful.... But most people look at you sideways when you talk about VPN. I think if they realized how easy it is to use.... More people would use it.

Geffers
July 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
It is very useful.... But most people look at you sideways when you talk about VPN. I think if they realized how easy it is to use.... More people would use it.

Yes true.

My router has a built in VPN server and have found it useful on occasions.

Geffers