PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgreded from 8.1 to 9.04, PROBLEMS

JBL121
July 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I have an older computer that was running Unbutu 8.1 and was using it to try using linux. I had the auto update suggest to install 9.04. I did and now I get random reboots.

I will be in firefox and move the mouse and I will go form the normal desktop with the icon bar on top to a blank screen with a box saying to login with the name Joe (only user, me)in 10 seconds.

Is this a bug of 9.04?

Also, I saw a tutorial and the guy had the current temp. of his city just to the right of the Help icon on top. Anybody know of the app that does this?

Thanks, from a nubie

Joe

JBL121
July 26th, 2009, 09:31 PM
It just did it again.

The box says Username.

It says "User Joe will login in 10 seconds.

Bottom left has "options" icon and right bottom has time and date.

It looks like it only does it when Firefox is open.

JBL121
July 27th, 2009, 11:44 PM
This is weird.

I downloaded the iso of 9.04 and burned a cd and did a full install of on the some computer and I still get the reboot (what I call it, see above).

It worked fine with the older version and hte new one works fine when I use open office.

Any suggestions on how to fix would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

JBL121
July 27th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I just was dl'ing the latest updates and had openoffice word processor open and it did it again. FIrst time without Firefox open.

THis is a homebuilt.

AMD athlon 1600+
1 gig memory
Maxtor 160gig HD
Older Banchee Video Card. (could this be a problem?)
I do have onboard video I can use.

This is a real headscratcher

THanks

Joe

magmon
July 28th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Well, my first recommendation would be to edit your posts instead of stacking them up =P. Second would be reinstalling 8.10, I had issues with wireless on 9.04, 8.10 just seems more reliable at this point.

JBL121
July 28th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Trying the onboard video and seem to fix it. Been running WO restart for about an hour.

Looks like the old banchee is doomed for the junk pile.

Does anybody know of a application for linux that will put the current tempurature up above next to the help icon?

Sorry for the newbie questions and I'll remember to edit next time

Thanks

Joe

JBL121
July 28th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Trying the onboard video and seem to fix it. Been running WO restart for about an hour.

Looks like the old banchee is doomed for the junk pile.

Does anybody know of a application for linux that will put the current tempurature up above next to the help icon?

Sorry for the newbie questions and I'll remember to edit next time

Thanks

Joe