PDA

View Full Version : any guitar players know if i can string classical strings onto a regular guitar ?

djmh
July 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
i just want that folksy kinda sound .... theres not really much on the internet about doing it, i think i have heard that you tie them onto your tuning heads ?

any tips for doing this ?

or expereince doing this ?

starcannon
July 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I've done it before. It's been awhile (theres an inch of dust on my guitar case). But what I'm remembering is that the machine head, and bridge holes may have been problematic, check your guages first (just take the guitar in with you when you buy strings, let them know what you wanna do, they'll help you find strings that will work).

Guessing you want that warmer more organic sound? Keep in mind that there are often some very good deals on craigslist and the like for some decent entry level classical guitars; I've seen Yamaha entry level models for $50 U.S.

GL and HF

djmh
July 26th, 2009, 09:31 PM
hmmm, your right ...i didnt even think of just purchasing a decent classic just to mess around with ....
i might check that out - if not thanks for your advice, ill just string em up on my accoustic :)

thisllub
July 27th, 2009, 12:30 AM
It isn't worth the effort.
The strings will be too close together, they won't fit the nut and they won't have enough tension to get a worthwhile sound.

Putting steel strings on a classical guitar is worse as the higher tension will eventually warp the top.

sonicislnd
July 27th, 2009, 12:36 AM
You can put nylon strings on a dreadnought guitar - that is a folk style guitar with a truss rod.
However, you cannot put steel strings on a classical nylon string guitar. Just make sure you get nylon strings with balls on the ends, or just tie a knot on each end of each string, then re-string as you would normally.

TravisNewman
July 27th, 2009, 02:50 AM
You can, it's not the most optimal strategy but it works. Looking for a cheaper classical guitar might be better for you.

steveneddy
July 27th, 2009, 03:28 AM
It isn't worth the effort.
The strings will be too close together, they won't fit the nut and they won't have enough tension to get a worthwhile sound.

Putting steel strings on a classical guitar is worse as the higher tension will eventually warp the top.

My feelings exactly.

Just purchase an inexpensive classical guitar.

aesis05401
July 27th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I don't know if the tech has changed (I haven't played nylon in fifteen years) but the saddle was the most important difference.

Slanted saddle = imperfect tuning for your nylon. Search it for more info - but your intonation will most likely be off unless you are playing on a straight saddle or get the nylond specifically designed for 'folk' as another poster mentioned..

Dimitriid
July 27th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Some effects pedals can "model" your electric to sound close to a classical nylon string guitar, the sound you'd get out of a decent unit will probably beat using nylon strings on an electric which is almost unplayable.

steveneddy
July 3rd, 2010, 01:59 AM
You might even think about using a set of silk and steel strings available at any guitar store.