PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD drive does not work in Ubuntu 9.04

leonhard-euler
July 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM
On my HP Pavilion dv5000, I cannot get the DVD-R/RW drive working and was hoping I could get some help with that. I am running Ubuntu 9.04, but this problem also existed in Ubuntu 8.04. I know the drive is good because I installed Ubuntu from CD. When I put in a CD (known good; it works on my desktop) Ubuntu claims that media/cdrom is empty. I've tried other CDs as well.

leonhard-euler
July 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Bump. I have more information if it helps. After a reboot, Ubuntu is able to read the drive for a while, but eventually seems to lose the ability. I can't give information on how long "a while" is, since Ubuntu stopped being able to read the drive some time between when I went to bed and when I woke up. After Ubuntu stops being able to read the drive, I cannot even open the drive, except by using the physical opener (sticking a paperclip into the small hole in the drive). This makes me suspect that its a hardware problem, but I'd like some way to be able to confirm this.

ZaHACKieL
July 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Have you tried the DVD drive in Windows or another OS? Just to be sure is an Ubuntu issue and not a hardware problem. Try it and let me know.

ZL

leonhard-euler
July 27th, 2009, 10:24 PM
The drive appears to work in Windows, so maybe it isn't a hardware issue after all.

ZaHACKieL
July 28th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I see. Well, take a look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5102913

A guy also had that problem and they gave him a solution there.

Try it and let me know what happens!

ZL