PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 installation hangs

hagman777
July 26th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hi first time posting the problem i have i am trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 alongside windows XP during the install process i get as far as the keyboard selection when i press forward to start the partition it just hangs and wont go any further i have had a couple of error messages cant remember what they were sorry i am now stuck as to what to do i am keen to try and use Ubuntu as it has good reviews cany anyone help.:confused:

merlinus
July 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Checksum your .iso, burn at no more than 4x, and check the disk for errors at the opening menu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

hagman777
July 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Hi thanks for reply installed 9.04 through wubi mow up and running install didnt seem to work installing from cd thanks for yor help.

moster
July 27th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Every sudden freeze like that smell on some hardware problems. I suggest you run memcheck from ubuntu cd for 1 hour or so. It test stability cpu-chipset-memory. I dont know why, but linux is more sensitive to HW errors. Maybe because different usage of memory or something but you should check that out to be sure.

hagman777
July 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Hi thanks for that i did as you suggested and memcheck passed my system so i dont know what the problem is however i have decided that rather than running ubunbtu alongside windows xp i have decided to install ubuntu file server as this was the intended purpose for this PC will i get the same problem.

moster
July 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I do not know. If you are 100% sure that your iso is burned right then there is not other explanation other that your computer is not compatible.

You could try to install from USB, but again, if it wouldn from CD how is gonna from USB then, hm..

acimna
July 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Did you use the free CD from Canonical? If you did, there is an option to check the CD just after you select the language during intsallation.

I had the same problem and the CD they supplied was faulty.

moster
July 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
No, I did not want to tire them with sending me their cd. It was good enough they make wonderful distro and commit themselves that I can use it for free forever.

:)

moster
July 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I am not sure you understand what is really linux. I will tell you little more, do not be angry if you aready know.

Actually Ubuntu is GNU/linux and it is community operating system made by thousands of people who contribute to one one thing. To make open/free operating system. It has no boss like microsoft. It has mastermind which is Linus Tordvalds and psychic guru Richard Stallman. Canonical how to say.. assemble all that free software and free operating system in one unit. And it is called Ubuntu. They live mainly from providing support to companies running Ubuntu servers.

This forum is place where we help each other. People help me before when I came. I am trying to help you now.

G4dget
July 28th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Hi first time posting the problem i have i am trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 alongside windows XP during the install process i get as far as the keyboard selection when i press forward to start the partition it just hangs and wont go any further i have had a couple of error messages cant remember what they were sorry i am now stuck as to what to do i am keen to try and use Ubuntu as it has good reviews cany anyone help.:confused:

You say your installing along side windows. Are you using one hard drive or two. If your only using one did you prepare the hard drive first? Check out about preparing the drive, however i'm not sure this is your direct cause of problems but may same some time later if ya didn't know.