PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Desktop Edition from Bootable USB?

Angura
July 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hi there,

i'm having certain troubles installing ubuntu on my notebook.
It has trouble reading DVDs (for a while) and therefore the installation of the desktop edition eventually fails with an I/O error.
However, the installation of the netbook remix via bootable stick doesn't work either. After choosing to install ubuntu Busybox opens and nothing else happens. Although I found some other threads with a similar problem, I haven't found a solution. (Probably because I'm totally new to Ubuntu / Linux operating systems)

So since the Desktop Edition seems to be installable, but fails because of my DVD-Rom, an installation of the Desktop Edition from a bootbable USB would be pretty nice. Is there such a thing? If not, what else could I do to install ubuntu?

Thanks a lot,
Angura

Sef
July 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
What is your computer and its specs?

Angura
July 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
It's a Toshiba Satellite A210 (AMD Turion X2 1.9 GHz, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600)

phnhat1984
July 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Maybe this topic can help http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1223483

wfvoogd
July 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
When you have a working ubuntu jaunty desktop on an other computer (or ability to run a live disk), you can use that to create a bootable usb via system->administration->usb startup disk creator. Just point it to a live disk iso image and you're in business. If you don't have another computer, i wouldnt know, i fear...

cheers,

Willem

presence1960
July 27th, 2009, 03:58 AM
When you have a working ubuntu jaunty desktop on an other computer (or ability to run a live disk), you can use that to create a bootable usb via system->administration->usb startup disk creator. Just point it to a live disk iso image and you're in business. If you don't have another computer, i wouldnt know, i fear...

cheers,

Willem

not exactly true...

you can do it from windows as long as you download the Ubuntu iso. use unetbootin for windows (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/)

moster
July 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Unetbootin like presence said. I install it every time like that. Just format stick to fat32 and everything will be Ok. Do not just delete everything. Format.

Angura
July 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Ok, made a bootable USB of the Desktop Edition with unetbootin.
Unfortunately I still end up at the Busybox command line, so I guess it's a general issue of installation via USB :(

moster
July 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Delete everything from USB stick, make new fat32 partition on it. Right click in gparted, manage flags check "boot". Everything in gparted. Then make usb with ubuntu cd or unetbootin program. It must work, I do it all the time. Even vista can install in that way.

edit:
Ok, I see I was not clear enough. Boot with Ubuntu cd. Then plug in USB stick. Open partition editor from system>administration. Then delete partitions and make new one, fat32. Then right click on it select "manage flags" and check "boot". Now save. I think you now must unplug and then plug in back to ubuntu mount it again. Only NOW you can make your USB by running "USB startup disk creator" or untebootin prog.

Wish luck :D

Angura
July 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Sorry, but it still doesn't work...

The installation program starts, I can choose to install ubuntu and after a while the loading screen disappears and leaves me with Busybox and [initramf] command line.

If i wasn't already from the beginning, I'm pretty clueless right now^^

moster
July 27th, 2009, 07:32 PM
It is not DVD and USB :( It is some incompatibility with Ubuntu and your laptop. I understand now.

I will look into it little and edit this post... maybe you need some boot parameters, but huh.. it not feels good.

lisati
July 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM
not exactly true...

you can do it from windows as long as you download the Ubuntu iso. use unetbootin for windows (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/)

Um errr huh? Since when has booting the live CD used Windows?

Boot up from the Live CD, select "Try Ubuntu without making changes to your computer", and use System->Administration->USB startup disk creator.

moster
July 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Boot up from the Live CD, select "Try Ubuntu without making changes to your computer", and use System->Administration->USB startup disk creator.

His USB and CD are fine, he has some other errors. I would check for hardware/memory errors. Load ubuntu cd rom and "test computer" for about an 1 hour. If no errors then I do not know what to say.
This guy said it work.
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/LaptopTestingTeam/ToshibaSatelliteA210-19B

NexusZA
July 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
When you get to the menu screen to chosoe to Install Ubuntu, look for the extra options at the bottom and you should be able to find one to add boot parameters. What you want to add is probably to prevent acpi being loaded. In the boot parameters add at the end of the line:

noacpi acpi=off

I can't check right now how to do it since I am at work and don't have the disk handy to help but that should sort you out.

If you are interested in knowing, older laptops tend to have unique power management features that sometimes aren't so well supported and those boot parameters will tell Ubuntu not to try and load those modules.

presence1960
July 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM

I was responding to the below quote which told the OP he must have a working Ubuntu install to create a bootable USB:

cheers,

Willem

That is so incorrect, you can create a bootable usb with unetbootin on windows: see here (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/)

maybe reading the progression of posts to this thread will clear that up! Um errr huh?

P.S. for boot options read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Hit F4 at boot and select the appropriate one.

Angura
July 29th, 2009, 06:13 PM
With

noacpi acpi=off

it still didn't work and got additional error messages about some bios-compatibility issues.
I grasped the last straw and installed ubunti with Wubi as a Windows program and it works fine. I think this will be sufficient for me.

Thanks anyway for your hints and advice :)

moster
July 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
In future, when you got some error you extensively describe what exactly happend. We were obviously headed in wrong way here. If boot post some error of APIC or ACPI, that is totally different from not able too boot from USB or something else.