PDA

View Full Version : FAS(Russia) makes an indirect move against monopoly

jonian_g
July 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
On 15th July 2009, the Commission of the Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS Russia) began proceedings in a case against «Асеr Inc.», «ASUSTeK Computer Inc.», «Toshiba Corporation», «Hewlett-Packard Company», « Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.» and «Dell Inc.» for the elements of violating the antimonopoly legislation. In accordance with the Determination of 20th July 2009, the FAS Russia's Commission, investigating the case, suspended the case until receiving additional evidence. The case will continue on 10th September 2009.

The case against the companies was initiated on 4th June 2009 for the elements of violating Clause 5 Part 1 Article 11 of the Federal Law «On Protection of Competition». It is suspected that the notebook manufacturers were engaged in concerted actions by pre-installing the operational system of the same vendor on the notebooks sold to consumers who in most cases did not have a possibility to choose and buy the required notebook model without a pre-installed operational system or refuse to use the product tied to their purchase (the operational system of the «Microsoft» Corporation).

More here: http://www.fas.gov.ru/english/news/n_25502.shtml

jimbob
July 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Good for them ...

SuperSonic4
July 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Good for them but I'm far more worried about Russia's plan to control the past (and hence the present) regarding the Great Patriotic War

jonian_g
July 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Good for them but I'm far more worried about Russia's plan to control the past (and hence the present) regarding the Great Patriotic War

I don't get what you mean. What do they plan for their contribution in WW2.

SuperSonic4
July 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I don't get what you mean. What do they plan for their contribution in WW2.

They plan to make it an offence to 'falsify' history:

President Dmitry Medvedev recently announced the setting up of a commission to counter the falsification of history. He said this was becoming increasingly "severe, evil, and aggressive"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8166020.stm

But enough about that, that's suspiciously close to politics

jonian_g
July 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
They plan to make it an offence to 'falsify' history:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8166020.stm

But enough about that, that's suspiciously close to politics

Well, you'll find me agree with them. Also I think you're exaggerating on the matter.
USSR has been attacked many times by communism haters and I'm surprised that it still happens.
According to the history I have been taught, their contribution in WW2 is something that should be recognized.

Note that I'm not Russian. So the history books I've read were not propaganda.

PS: You're right, no need to discuss this anymore. It's also off topic.

azangru
July 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
The trouble with news in general and news from Russia in particular is how it skews the true picture. Remember the time when everybody in the open-source community applauded Russia for its plans to switch schools and government to Linux? Well, in reality, these plans have remained just plans, Linux couldn't find really strong lobbyists, and there is a large chance it will never find its way into the majority of Russian schools. Same thing with the proceedings started by the Federal Antimonopoly Service: they are now in such an early stage that it's impossible to predict whether there'll be any success.

They plan to make it an offence to 'falsify' history

Well, attempt to control the general view on certain historical issues is universal. For instance, it is a criminal offence in the European Union to deny the Holocaust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_denial#European_Union). What the Russians are trying to do is essentially the same thing, only concerning several other unpleasant issues.

(not trying to talk politics here, just giving an insider's viewpoint)