PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend me a linux MMORPG?

Wisey
July 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I used to play Ragnarok Online and Runescape, but quit both. I don't see the point of having the RP in there when no one is role playing. The two games I played, it was more about endless monster hacking to gain levels and experience, something which I got tired of really soon, although Runescape was better with this. I also played some MUDs, found them to be a refreshing change, although there were levels and experience in most of them, some of them were so good that I just wandered around exploring and roleplaying without bothering about monsters, they were just that fun with people actually roleplaying their characters, with really beautiful descriptive worlds, gameplay and storylines.

Can someone recommend a game that combines the best of both? Roleplaying, preferably without levels, and good graphics? And by good graphics, I mean at least decent graphics, nothing 2D or 1980-ish. I can't spend hours and hours going around clicking on sprites to gain levels, I am looking for something that is interesting, but won't take that much of my time. I don't have a credit card yet, and neither can I afford those prices even if I have one, hence I am also looking for something free to play. If it runs natively on linux, well that would be awesome, but I still have my windows xp partition. O yes, I live in India, and have a blazingly fast 256 kbps connection, so games that require a really fast connection to play or lag too much when you are too far away from the nearest server have to be ruled out.

Maybe a bit too much to ask, but anyone want to give it a shot?

dragos240
July 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Runescape can be played in linux. It's made in java, it can be run on all systems.

SonnHalter
July 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Eve Online

PuddingKnife
July 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Eve Online

Incorrect.

Deamos
July 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Eve Online

Eve dropped support due to lack of interest. In addition, it used a version of Cedega instead of a native engine.

Sealbhach
July 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM
How about A Tale in the Desert (http://www.atitd.com/)?

jonian_g
July 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Dofus

http://www.dofus.com/en/mmorpg/download/full.html

Greg
July 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM
World of Warcraft under WINE works really well.

Wisey
July 26th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The thing is, those ones require you to pay to play? I don't have a credit card, my parents will kill me if I ask them to pay for an online game. :D I was looking for ones that are either completely free or charge extra for premium content, but not in such a way that premium content users have a total advantage over the free users. And I am not restricting myself to linux.

I was just going through www.mmorpg.com, seems there are a whole lot of free to play games that are available, but I was really looking for something that has depth in comparison to some MUDs that I used to play. Anyway, thank you for the replies, seems I was asking a bit too much, I found a topic about this on the forums of mmorpg.com, don't think such a game exists.

arcdrag
July 26th, 2009, 05:05 PM
You're not going to find any free to play MMO's that are of the quality of Pay to play ones. For me at least, $15 a month for one game is cheaper than buying a new game every month.

As far as gameplay goes, Runes of magic seems to be a pretty decent free to play mmo. I just haven't gotten far enough into it to tell if it has any sort of lasting appeal.

bartos
July 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Regnum

starcannon
July 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Finding an MMORPG with a solid RP community is tough; even on the premium games, and even on the Role Play servers. Role Play is out there, but you'll likely need WoW, EverQuest, Warhammer, or something of the kind; it may also be a good idea to find a Role Players forum, this can help you find an active Role Play guild to join.

As has been mentioned, WINE/Crossover Games or Cedega will likely be required in order to play most/all of the premium MMORPG's, and a 13~20/month subscription to the game itself. My wife and I have played a lot of these games, and we have noticed that RP has its moments, its usually pretty spontaneous and short lived, the rest of the time its hack -n- slash, just go with it. My favorite MMORPG has been Warhammer; their is a quest/PVE system that is decent; but where the game really shines is in the PVP, it has the killer PVP, and as a result a certain kind of RP just naturally comes out, its not acting so much as its just pure alter ego going full tilt in a PVP environment, pretty cool actually.

Finally, while many of these games can be played under linux using some sort of compatability layer; it is my opinion that for the moment, gamers should dual boot. Theres nothing wrong with using windows for what its good for, gaming; use Linux for everything else.

Heres hoping you find a game that is just right.

GL and HF.

Mornedhel
July 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Planeshift (http://www.planeshift.it/) ?

DeadSuperHero
July 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Eternal Lands is pretty good:

For Windows, Mac, Linux, and even FreeBSD.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/

Starlight
July 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Runes of Magic is a new free MMORPG inspired by World of Warcraft. I think it's really good, and even though it doesn't have a native Linux version, it works perfectly on Wine, at least on my computer. :)

Trickster Online is also quite cool, it has a cute style :D But it doesn't work on Linux, even with Wine, unfortunately. :(

Damon68
August 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM
You can get EverQuest running with wine on Ubuntu, no credit card no problem, run EQEmu.
I've got it up and running on my system and it's definetly playable.
You will however need to purchase a copy of EverQuest Titanium to be able to play on Emu (I think it goes for around 15 bucks if you do a google search I'm sure you'll find one).
I believe they may have a newer version that you can buy that will connect now as well, although I'm not positive, I have a copy of titanium so I didn't bother looking into that further.

Go here for instructions on getting EQ working in Wine:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2939
Go here for more info on EQ Emu:
http://www.eqemulator.net/main.php

Hope that helps
:)
Damon

Starlights suggestion of Runes of Magic looks pretty good as well .... currently downloading gotta give it a try :)