PDA

View Full Version : Best Video game console?

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I have never owned a video game console; I am thinking of buying one, and was wondering which ones you would recommend.

Best Video game console?

PS3
Xbox 360 Elite
Wii
other

TheNosh
July 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
the PS3 is pretty attractive, they let you install a secondary OS on it along side the gaming system. so you could use it as a PC and a gaming system

the xbox 360 probably has the best selection of current games, so considering that you already have a PC (i assume) that would probably be the way to go.

i have a wii. i mostly like the other two systems better, but super smash bros: brawl and mario kart are awesome for parties. it's also easy and fun to soft mod it. however i bought it because i'm a die hard legend of zelda fan and they have yet to release a zelda title for it other than twighlight princess which i could've just gotten for game cube, so thats dissapointing.

and my favorite system ever was the N64. the games of that era were much better in my opinion, now the focus is mostly on graphics. however i wouldn't seek out and buy an N64 cause it can be so easily emulated on a PC. (project 64 and 1964 can both be run acceptably through wine, and if you want a linux native emulator you could try Mupen64plus)

linuxguymarshall
July 26th, 2009, 11:29 AM
where is the PC?

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
where is the PC?looking to purchase a separate "Video Game Console" to use other then my PC.

SuperSonic4
July 26th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Megadrive/Genesis!

TheNosh
July 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Megadrive/Genesis!

hell yea

http://i25.tinypic.com/2romemw.jpg

mr.propre
July 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Game boy. FTW (>_<)

dragos240
July 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM
The sega dreamcast.

Jimleko211
July 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
The Xbox 360 is honestly better, if you're a hardcore gamer. Pretty clean interface, lots of games, and the online is awesome, even if you do have to pay for it.

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM
The Xbox 360 is honestly better, if you're a hardcore gamer. Pretty clean interface, lots of games, and the online is awesome, even if you do have to pay for it.What are some good games for the Xbox 360?

TheNosh
July 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
What are some good games for the Xbox 360?

prototype
oblivion
bioshock
fallout 3
halo 3
soul calibur 4

Kubunteando
July 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM
The good things about the Xbox:

- game selection is ok
- movie rental if available if your country
- can you surf the web?
- lower power consumption than the PS3

Other than that it cannot compare with the PS3 if you want enjoy the games (for that you need also a good TV, preferably a Full HD, minimum a HD ready).
The HW of the PS3 is more than twice powerful, so imagine the games they are still to come. PS3 comes with a Bluray player.

I am looking if those rumours about the PS3 slim are true, if they are I may consider to buy my first console too...

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
The good things about the Xbox:

- game selection is ok
- movie rental if available if your country
- can you surf the web?
- lower power consumption than the PS3

Other than that it cannot compare with the PS3 if you want enjoy the games (for that you need also a good TV, preferably a Full HD, minimum a HD ready).
The HW of the PS3 is more than twice powerful, so imagine the games they are still to come. PS3 comes with a Bluray player.

I am looking if those rumours about the PS3 slim are true, if they are I may consider to buy my first console too...

I like that the PS3 comes with:

160GB HDD for storing games, music, videos and photos
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Systems/uncharted.html?ILC-lps&FTTR=PS3_160gbbunlde_main1_unchartedbundle

while the Xbox 360 Elite only comes with:

Xbox 360 120GB hard drivehttp://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360elitesystem/

JDShu
July 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM
What are some good games for the Xbox 360?

Check out http://www.gamerankings.com (http://www.gamerankings.com/) for the games with the best reviews. Its like rotten tomatoes for video games.

I personally am happy with my wii, super smash brothers brawl is awesome with friends. Its also much cheaper.

khelben1979
July 26th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I definitely think that PS3 is the way to go here. I myself am sticking to my PC.

jonian_g
July 26th, 2009, 03:18 PM
PS3 for two important reasons:

1. More powerfull hardware + blueray + you can replace the HDD with a bigger one.

2. There are still games being released for PS2. Which means that if sometime they come out with a PS4, you will still be able to buy new titles for your PS3. That's not the case for Xbox.
Example
Pro Evolution Soccer:
Xbox: PES 5
PS2: PES 2009

tjwoosta
July 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I have both ps3 and 360, but the 360 has a much better selection of awesome games.

Why elite though? Just get the regular one with the 80 gb HD. I have a huge collection of music and saved games on mine, but I have never used more then half of it. The only thing that takes up alot of hd space is when you either download a bunch of demos, or if you download whole games from xbox live.

mamamia88
July 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
can't go wrong with either. wii is great for experiences you can't get on any other system like tiger woods 10 and wii sports. 360 has some great games but lack of built in wifi and the fact that it has a tendency to break and scratch discs turns me off. the ps3 is great for media and gaming and you can put any laptop hd in it. depends what you want more media or gaming. i have all 3 and love all 3 right now i would probably go with ps3 if i had to chose

swoll1980
July 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Super Nintendo is the best console. To make a poll of the best video game console, and only have the pos 360, wii and ps3 on it is pretty _______ I want to say ignorant, but alot of people take ignorant the wrong way. I'll just say it doesn't show much knowledge of the history of consoles.

jonian_g
July 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM
i have all 3 and love all 3 right now i would probably go with ps3 if i had to chose

That's the best solution, but not possible for everyone.

TheNosh
July 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Super Nintendo is the best console. To make a poll of the best video game console, and only have the pos 360, wii and ps3 on it is pretty _______ I want to say ignorant, but alot of people take ignorant the wrong way. I'll just say it doesn't show much knowledge of the history of consoles.

i think the word "current" was kinda implied. if you're looking to buy a game system it makes little sense to buy one that can easily be emulated. (however with the N64 there are things you can only do with a physical system. like in the zelda games, the mapping for the obsticals is held in the far left side of the cartrige, so if you pull up slightly on it you can walk through things)

swoll1980
July 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
i think the word "current" was kinda implied. if you're looking to buy a game system it makes little sense to buy one that can easily be emulated. (however with the N64 there are things you can only do with a physical system. like in the zelda games, the mapping for the obsticals is held in the far left side of the cartrige, so if you pull up slightly on it you can walk through things)

That's what I get for not reading the op. If the poll read "What console should I buy?" I would have said XBOX 360.

TheNosh
July 26th, 2009, 04:49 PM
That's what I get for not reading the op. If the poll read "What console should I buy?" I would have said XBOX 360.

and besides, you were wrong anyway. the super nintendo was not as awesome as N64:D

<sarcasm> after all, my opinion is law </sarcasm>

BigSilly
July 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Actually, I should be voting for the Dreamcast, but seeing as there isn't technically an option for it, I'll vote for Wii.

Big fan. It has a lot of games that many "hardcore" gamers just don't notice while they shoot things on their Xboxes. Plus, any console that has Super Mario Galaxy and Okami on it has to be good. :D If you get one, check out No More Heroes (and it's upcoming sequel), Resident Evil 4, Samba De Amigo, and the marvellous Mad World.

Cope57
July 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
There is no BEST video game console. It is a matter of taste, and those choices change with time.

Those that are saying Xbox360, PS3, or Wii are the best, I will ask in this thread the same question ten years from now, and see how much you still care for your Xbox360, PS3, and Wii.

Your answer today, is irrelevant tomorrow.
Opinions vary, and so will the results...

RPG Master
July 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
The Wii is where the innovations at! :D
De Blob, Boom Blox, Elebits, Wii Sports Resort, Wii fit, and Zack & Wiki!

And those are just the games I own 8)

(I also own/share a 360)

racerraul
July 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM
All you young bucks!!! :D

The best ever... the GOAT (greatest of all time), whitout a shadow of a doubt...

Atari 2600/7800

the NES gets a very close second... looses by just a few years. But to its credit. It undid the damage that the 2600/7800 did in all its greatness.

However...Despite all that damage... what current video game console on the market today can entice a DOLL MAKER to compete in the console wars like the 2600/7800 did...

NONE!

BTW,,, I'm no newb at this...

I own...
Atari
-800xl
-Jaguar

Colecovision

Sega
-Genesis (32x & CD)
-Saturn
-Dreamcast

Nintendo
-NES (top loader)
-SNES
-N64
-Cube
-GB
-GBA
-GBSP

Sony
-PS
-PS2

Microsuxt
-Xbox

Sold
- Intellivison II & Atari 5200 because their controls where horrendous!

starcannon
July 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Windows XP makes the best gaming console.

dragos240
July 26th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Windows XP makes the best gaming console.
Booooo

hessiess
July 26th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Ps1/ps2. Personally nothing made recently interests me at all.

.Maleficus.
July 26th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Booooo
+1.

Anyways, if you're in the market for a console, Xbox 360 is where it's at. All of the consoles have great games but the 360 has the most of them.

gnomeuser
July 27th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I don't own a console currently, the only one I have ever owned was the original XBOX. It served me fairly well but I found that I simply wasn't playing much anymore and that the games were horribly expensive for the amount of entertainment I got out of the investment. The console still lives but I gave it to a friend of mine so he and his 7 year old could have some fun.

Looking at the current market I think the PS3 has the most appealing hardware solution but the platform being very hard to code for also means that games are rare, good games even rarer. the XBOX360 has the most games, the biggest selection of genres and with recent updates is also becoming a fine media center platform. The Wii has the most interesting interaction, the games that manage to take advantage of this are great party games which is definitely were the Wii shines.

I think which is the best depends of which use cases you have. I am not in the market for a console, but if I had to go out and buy one I would look at the type of games I like and the type of gaming I enjoy then make my pick based on that. See if you can't get some face time with a few games on the respective platforms, get a feel for how it works and feels. See what the platform is capable of.

gn2
July 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
If you get a 360, just think of the excitement you will get from anticipating it's eventual RROD.

razorboy5
July 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I'd have to agree Xbox 360 has better games

however considering only the console (without games or price) PS3 is the best Console. Not necessarily the best choice for everyone but it is more powerful and reliable than the Xbox 360.

swoll1980
July 27th, 2009, 03:06 AM
All you young bucks!!! :D

The best ever... the GOAT (greatest of all time), whitout a shadow of a doubt...

Atari 2600/7800

No way! you might make an argument for the 2600, but the 7800 was garbage. I remember being 6 years old, and crying when we got the 7800, for Christmas. We asked Santa for a NES, and thought it was some kind of cruel joke. My parents, being as nice as they were, said Santa must have made a mistake, and went out, and bought us the NES, so we had both of them. Nintendo had the 3rd party developers locked up so tight they couldn't even think of making a game for the 7800. That left the 7800 out in the cold. I can't remember playing a decent game for the 7800, other than the 2600 games we already had, but those were left in the dust by epic Nintendo games like Mario, Zelda, Contra, Castlevania, and Punch Out.

unoodles
July 27th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Hey how come nobody mentioned the EVO?
Its a game console with Linux preinstalled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evo:_Phase_One

I have never tried one, (well, I never tried any game console as I am not really a gamer), but hey, running Linux?

swoll1980
July 27th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Hey how come nobody mentioned the EVO?
Its a game console with Linux preinstalled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evo:_Phase_One

I have never tried one, (well, I never tried any game console as I am not really a gamer), but hey, running Linux?

Do you really have to ask? It's bad enough trying to get a decent game running in Wine. Why would I want to by a console that only runs games I don't want to play. It's just an over priced PC with Linux on it.

racerraul
July 27th, 2009, 04:54 AM
No way! you might make an argument for the 2600, but the 7800 was garbage. I remember being 6 years old, and crying when we got the 7800, for Christmas. We asked Santa for a NES, and thought it was some kind of cruel joke. My parents, being as nice as they were, said Santa must have made a mistake, and went out, and bought us the NES, so we had both of them. Nintendo had the 3rd party developers locked up so tight they couldn't even think of making a game for the 7800. That left the 7800 out in the cold. I can't remember playing a decent game for the 7800, other than the 2600 games we already had, but those were left in the dust by epic Nintendo games like Mario, Zelda, Contra, Castlevania, and Punch Out.

LOL dude that sucked...

For sure the 7800 had lost any potential by the time the NES came out. But that was due to poor business decision by the co that bought Atari. The 7800 was actually ready in 1984, but with the sale of Atari and the game market crash, it was shelved and then later released in 1986 to compete with the NES. But as you said, Nintendo had made all the right moves and it spelled the death of the 7800.

However, the initial arcade ports released for the 7800 were awesome. And till this day, the homebrew ports of arcade games are IMO better than the same in the NES.

starcannon
July 27th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Booooo

I see that you did not get the joke; I just called an entire OS nothing more than gaming console (indeed its all I find it useful for), same goes to the +1 supporter. Loses some of its juice having to explain it like that.

prime85
July 29th, 2009, 02:27 PM
i have both PS3 and the Elite and it is hard to compare them. if you are more into online game play then go with the xbox. if you like movies then go with the ps3 because of the bluray. other then that the game play is very similar their is not that much difference. also take a look at the exclusive games availible for each system see which ones you like better. :P