3. Photoshop
4. Itunes
5. Dreamweaver
6. Visio
7. Lotus Notes
8. Quicken
9. Macromedia Studio
10. Act!

I know for a fact Crossover runs most of these pretty well as long as you aren't one of those people that HAS TO use the newest version...

earobinson
January 27th, 2006, 04:23 PM
It would be nice to have a linux port but for most of these apps there is a similar linux program that dose what i need.

Lord Illidan
January 27th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I don't think we should take it as easy as " You know,we already have an OSS alternative, we don't need any porting." I don't think you prefer playing nexuiz instead of quake or unreal tournament. Same here. People are trained to use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.

The alternatives, like GIMP or NVU, while very useful are not to the standards of Photoshop CS 2 and Dreamweaver. While I am sure that they may be adequate for most of us, they are not for the professionals, and if we can convince these to switch to Linux, it would be a major coup.

And Crossover Office is hindering the porting of these apps, which I don't like meself.

Even Itunes can be useful, for people to download music from Linux. Remember, just because they have been ported doesn't mean we have to use them by default, though I would like using Macromedia Studio and Dreamweaver, especially if there is Flash included!

That said, I don't know about Lotus Notes.

I like the idea.

xequence
January 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM
1. GnuCash, KmyMoney
2. Qcad, Blender, Povray?
3. GIMP
4. Itunes?
5. ??????
6. Dia
7. Why bother?
8. See Number 1
9 See number 5
10. Really, seriously, why bother.

1. They are not considered as good
2. See number one (;))
3. GIMP can do some good things (such as cool psychedelic effects) but photoshop is much easier to use in my opinion
4. Who needs 128Kbps crap anyway? =P
5. Accually, Nvu is good at that
6. See number one
7. No comment as I dont know what it is
8. See number one
9. No flash maker on linux, so, heh
10. Dont know what it is

I know for a fact Crossover runs most of these pretty well as long as you aren't one of those people that HAS TO use the newest version...

Most linux users complain about the fact microsoft charges for software. Crossover charges too. Just adds to the money spending madness.

briancurtin
January 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
The alternatives, like GIMP or NVU, while very useful are not to the standards of Photoshop CS 2 and Dreamweaver. While I am sure that they may be adequate for most of us, they are not for the professionals, and if we can convince these to switch to Linux, it would be a major coup.
i dont claim to be a professional with photoshop, as im nowhere near it, but ive used it for 6-7 years as a hobbyist and have gotten very good with it, and VERY used to it. to me, the GIMP doesnt compare.

Kimm
January 27th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Most linux users complain about the fact microsoft charges for software. Crossover charges too. Just adds to the money spending madness.

True, but its still cheaper then bying a Windows licence

Virogenesis
January 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Macromedia Studio would be great for linux I know so many windows users who will not switch from windows because of this matter.
I highly doubt adobe would port over macromedia studio or cs suite mind but we can only dream that some day we will get the third party apps we miss.
As for linux users complaining about software actually they don't they complain about getting ripped off but with adobe products you pay for what you get which is a highly polished application.

xequence
January 27th, 2006, 07:34 PM
True, but its still cheaper then bying a Windows licence

If you have a copy of MS Office or any of those windows programs I assume you would already have a copy of windows.