PDA

View Full Version : Search & read 1st. Ask later.

Buffalo Soldier
January 23rd, 2005, 05:12 AM
I think most newbies nowadays cries "help" too early and too often. Sometimes even for the simple and easy task.

Some post questions on the user forum without:

a) checking whether anyone has posted the same question on the same forum.

b) checking the documentation the the specific GNU/Linux distribution their using.

c) searching the WWW using seach engine

d) searching on other www.tldp.org/ (The Linux Documentation Project), which has many How-Tos, Guides, FAQs and MANuals.

e) checking the documentation for the specific application/software. Such as checking at www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html for GRUB related problems.

Here is a list of links that I found helpful in my experience as a newbie. Some are specific to UbuntuLinux while others can be applied to most GNU/Linux distribution in general.

www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/
ubuntuguide.org/
www.gnome.org/learn/
www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
www.tldp.org/
easylinuxguide.com/
www.linuxforums.org/
www.linuxquestions.org/
www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html

CowPie
January 23rd, 2005, 05:50 AM
I think most newbies nowadays cries "help" too early and too often. Sometimes even for the simple and easy task.

Some post questions on the user forum without:

a) checking whether anyone has posted the same question on the same forum.

b) checking the documentation the the specific GNU/Linux distribution their using.

c) searching the WWW using seach engine

d) searching on other www.tldp.org/ (The Linux Documentation Project), which has many How-Tos, Guides, FAQs and MANuals.

e) checking the documentation for the specific application/software. Such as checking at www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html for GRUB related problems.

Here is a list of links that I found helpful in my experience as a newbie. Some are specific to UbuntuLinux while others can be applied to most GNU/Linux distribution in general.

www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/
ubuntuguide.org/
www.gnome.org/learn/
www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
www.tldp.org/
easylinuxguide.com/
www.linuxforums.org/
www.linuxquestions.org/
I'd like to add linux.org :)

http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html

This is the best documentation I've ever used, it helped a lot in my use of Linux over Windows.

However oyu have to stay with newbies. Woody, sarge, sid, etc. are common terms so its hard ot find info on google. Even kde and gnome can be difficult concepts for new users.

Lovechild
January 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM
I would like to voice my support for this.. I hate it when people never research their problems, I have nothing against helping them but I would like it i I didn't have to cover the basics every single time.

Jest search these forums seem to be a major task for some people, the the question of Reiser4 inclusion in Hoary has been asked like 4 times - is it really that hard to use the search function, or is my faith in humanity's abilities just to great?

Buffalo Soldier
January 23rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
I'd like to add linux.org :)

http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html

This is the best documentation I've ever used, it helped a lot in my use of Linux over Windows.Thanx for the suggestion. I've added it to the list.

However oyu have to stay with newbies. Woody, sarge, sid, etc. are common terms so its hard ot find info on google. Even kde and gnome can be difficult concepts for new users.You've got a point there. Maybe some concept in GNU/Linux are not so easily grasped. A little bit of hand holding is not a big problem now and then :)

DougZ
April 12th, 2005, 12:23 AM
And after you've googled and found 6 different conflicting howtos, none of which actually apply to the distro/kernel/arch (pick one) you're using...

And you've just burned 2 weeks trying to get something going that took like 10 minutes in Windows...(making you wonder yet again "and I'm punishing myself like this why?")

So you post a message on the forums, only to have someone flame you for not taking the time to search/rtfm...

Personally, I come to realize the linux documentation out there really sucks. (sorry guys but from a newbie perspective it really does) If you follow the instructions to the letter and it bombs wildly, enough though it was (by some miracle) written against the same version of the same distro you're using, then it's the newbie's fault? suz me?

You very quickly get in the habit of saying screw it and just posting a message to the forums, where you will likely get a reply, saving yourself a week or more of anguish.

Hmm, I wonder if that came across a bit strong...I absolutely agree with you that most people dont take the time to search. But a lot of times it is sheer frustration, not laziness.

As a side note I've noticed a growing clamor across all linux related boards asking where's the reiser4 support? I don't think maintainers will be able to hold out much longer before giving into pressure. Gawd I hope so. I've thus far failed miserably at getting a working reiser4 patched kernel going.

KiwiNZ
April 12th, 2005, 12:36 AM
This forum has grown to be the primary support mechanisim for Ubuntu. Therefore ,in my humble opinion the principles of customer service need to apply here.
Yes it can be frustrating but thats customer service . Very satisfying , also frustrating.
So in the primary help forums I would hate to see "rtfm" . The Community chat hmmm not sure even in there .

I also hate the term newbie or noob , I prefer new customer.

kassetra
April 12th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I am very disappointed that a thread like this was even started. I expect this kind of talk from other forums, but I had come to regard this forum as more understanding of people in general.

Ok, as I close this thread, I'm going to give you some comments of mine.

1. No one was born knowing everything.
2. Everyone needs help at some point in their lives.
3. Most people DO NOT learn by reading. They learn by doing; therefore if a more experienced person gives them steps to follow instead of a giant thesis to read, the person is more apt to learn.
4. When a person needs help - they need help, regardless of if they searched for an answer first or NOT.
5. And please remember this above all else:

All people that come to these forums are deserving of the same kind of patience, understanding, and helpfulness that you yourselves receive. IT TRICKLES DOWN, NOT UP.