PDA

View Full Version : (Rant) Steam support for Linux OS

ztmike
July 26th, 2009, 01:14 AM
So I went to the suggestion forum on the Steam official forums, and asked a simple yet friendly post and a mod comes in and says Steam doesn't/won't support Linux and gave a link to it.

But the thing that pissed me off was the mod locked the thread as soon as he posted it, WHY?

I know they don't get alot of threads asking that, yet they felt the need to lock my suggestion? UM HELLO..its a suggestion forum..

Link: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924671

Just ticked me off .. Its like we Linux users are the basterized son of the devil.

linuxguymarshall
July 26th, 2009, 01:15 AM
We do not control the Steam project so we can not make support for it. You are arguing to the wrong people

ztmike
July 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM
We do not control the Steam project so we can not make support for it. You are arguing to the wrong people

Duh? I said in my post it was a rant, I never said the members here could change that..but they could show Steam they want a port to Linux, by emailing them or making a post where I did.

linuxguymarshall
July 26th, 2009, 01:19 AM
The Steam project is aware that we want a port and in the mean time Steam is 100% compatible with a current version of Wine.

ztmike
July 26th, 2009, 01:21 AM
and in the mean time Steam is 100% compatible with a current version of Wine.

Doesn't matter if the games on it run like crap. *cough Left 4 Dead cough* I haven't tried any others yet, but I'm not expecting to be in awe.

linuxguymarshall
July 26th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Steam =/= games on Steam

Steam = 1 developer

Games on Steam = 100s of developers

To get all the games on steam working you need to write to hundred of different companies.

ztmike
July 26th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Steam =/= games on Steam

Steam = 1 developer

Games on Steam = 100s of developers

To get all the games on steam working you need to write to hundred of different companies.

1 developer is better than nothing, and would be a start in the very right direction.

linuxguymarshall
July 26th, 2009, 01:28 AM
1 developer is better than nothing, and would be a start in the very right direction.

Some developers just will not make games for Linux. They made their games for DirectX and DirectX will never go to Linux. Ever.

ztmike
July 26th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Some developers just will not make games for Linux. They made their games for DirectX and DirectX will never go to Linux. Ever.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/581/openglvsdx.jpg

Who needs directx?

linuxguymarshall
July 26th, 2009, 01:37 AM
They both render the same, sure. Ever try coding with them. OpenGL is not hard to program with at all. But neither is DirectX, and Microsoft gives you some amazing tools to program with. I love Visual Studio.

snargfish
July 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM

Who needs directx?

Microsoft.

linuxguymarshall
July 26th, 2009, 01:43 AM

Who needs directx?

Crytech

ztmike
July 26th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Well OpenGL 3.1 is out now so its even better..

But noticed on Nvidias website the new drivers 190.38 is only for Windows..what a surprise right? But supports OpenGL 3.1

I hope Nvidia puts effort into porting the new driver to Linux, before I die of old age.

But hell that probably won't matter anyway..can barely play any games as it is.:(

Dimitriid
July 26th, 2009, 01:49 AM
PC gaming seems to be in trouble right now since Microsoft its getting away with what they want and they are slowly turning it into another gaming console getting nothing but ports from console games. Companies that once developed exclusively for the PC are now xbox 360 developers with PC as an afterthought, even games that were originally announced and started development for the PC are becoming 360 games. Linux support is hardly gonna be a priority if PC as a unique gaming platform is disappearing altogether.

Eviltechie
July 26th, 2009, 01:53 AM
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux

Dougie187
July 26th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Well OpenGL 3.1 is out now so its even better..

But noticed on Nvidias website the new drivers 190.38 is only for Windows..what a surprise right? But supports OpenGL 3.1

I hope Nvidia puts effort into porting the new driver to Linux, before I die of old age.

But hell that probably won't matter anyway..can barely play any games as it is.:(

I fell like this comment is very useless. I mean, I understand your rant. And I can see where you are coming from, but attacking nvidia isn't very helpful. They give far better support for their drivers to linux than ati does.

Steams main issue in making steam compatible for linux is because they have hundreds of games (which they don't all own) and to make steam compatible for linux, all of those games would have to be compatible.

The problem there is that it's hard to coordinate hundreds of developers to port their game to linux. Also, Valve doesn't want to spend the time porting their own games for a small percent of the market share.

ztmike
July 26th, 2009, 02:20 AM
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux

Quite an interesting read..but the date on the article is May 07, 2008

TBOL3
July 26th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I just had a funny thought.

What if the EU were to go after MS for making DX10 only available for windows. :lolflag: I know it's never going to happen, seeing as it's much to low level for them to actually care, but it's still funny.

grndzro
April 4th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Wine has come a long way, it emulates windows very well.

The problem is the Linux ATI/NV drivers, more the ATI drivers though. NV support SM 3.0 /w GLSL so most modern games run in wine quite well.

ATI only have SM 1.0 /w GLSL

The best way to get gaming on Linux is to simply quit using windows. Find something on Linux that will provide entertainment and do other things like watch anime, News, Tv programs. Browse the web.

If you have a game that will only run in windows boot to windows....have your fun...then go back to Linux.

Page hits record what OS you are using and the data will eventually become a motivating factor to NV and ATI.

Sadly this will likely never happen.

CharlesA
April 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Closed due to necro.