PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your coffee brewed/prepared?

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2009, 12:52 AM
How do you like your coffee brewed/prepared?

Balancing Siphon Coffee Maker Brewing
Siphon Coffee Maker Brewing
French Press Brewing
Turkish Coffee Brewing “black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.” 1 (http://turkish-food.suite101.com/article.cfm/turkish_coffee)
Percolator Brewing
Drip Brewing
Cold Water Preparation
Stove Top “espresso” Maker Brewing
Electric Espresso Machine Brewing
Other

1 (http://turkish-food.suite101.com/article.cfm/turkish_coffee) (quote from link).

snargfish
July 26th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Why do you ask so many questions?

lukjad
July 26th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Medium roast, fine grain, Perk, with cream, not milk or sugar, filtered and it must be hot. Shaken, not... okay, that's going a bit far. ;)

lisati
July 26th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Why do you ask so many questions?

Why shouldn't the OP ask questions?

Back on topic: I wouldn't mind an alternative to the instant coffee we normally have in the Lisati household, but on the rare occasion when I've raised it with Mrs Lisati she's vetoed the idea. My own experience of making coffee is mainly limited to instant and filtered, with memories of my folks having percolated coffee when I was a lot smaller than I am today.

snargfish
July 26th, 2009, 01:01 AM

I just looked through his/her comment history & they seem to ask a lot of random questions.

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2009, 01:02 AM

Thank You.

Back on topic: I wouldn't mind an alternative to the instant coffee we normally have in the Lisati household, but on the rare occasion when I've raised it with Mrs Lisati she's vetoed the idea. My own experience of making coffee is mainly limited to instant and filtered, with memories of my folks having percolated coffee when I was a lot smaller than I am today.

I personally use a French Press but would love to buy a Balancing Siphon Coffee Maker, like the one in my avatar presently (which picks up on the coffee bean theme here).

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=122413&d=1248566527

snargfish
July 26th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I personally use a French Press but would love to buy a Balancing Siphon Coffee Maker, like the one in my avatar presently.

O-k.

wojox
July 26th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Looks like a coffee bong :)

lukjad
July 26th, 2009, 01:13 AM
That a looks like a science experiment that just happens to make coffee. :D

BTW, ask all the questions you like.

cariboo
July 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Please keep thinks on topic.

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2009, 01:19 AM
That a looks like a science experiment that just happens to make coffee. :D

Actually you can make one of these out of lab equipment:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=122418&d=1248567993

Make your own mad-scientist coffee machine. [by j. edgar park ii] (http://avogadroslabsupply.com/Images/Arabica.pdf)

BTW, ask all the questions you like.
Hey Thanks! ;)

Please keep thinks on topic. Thanks for the post cariboo907.

Chilli Bob
July 26th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I usually use a plunger (I think that is what you mean by "French Press") if I'm in a hurry, or a stove top espresso maker if having a leisurely breakfast on the weekend. However only days ago a found a new method. I was reading that in the old-timey days, they just used to boil the grounds in a saucepan, so I gave it a go. All I can say is WAAAAHHHOOOO!!!!!!! :shock: I have never had a caffeine hit like this before. Actually, that's not true, I had a turkish coffee once that had me bouncing like this. I think they do it a similar way, but with powdered coffee instead of ground. I'll be doing this a lot more now, at least till my heart gives out from the strain. :D

freebeer
July 26th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I doubt that I've tried coffees with all the various brewing methods listed by the OP, so I can't really say which one I'd prefer.

I do know that the key is quality, fresh ingredients (no different any any other cooking/food preparation). I have a small grinder that allows me to grind whole beans just before brewing. It makes a big difference, I find.

NovaAesa
July 26th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Instant coffee for me :P

markbuntu
July 26th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I like my coffee handed to me in a cup

chucky chuckaluck
July 26th, 2009, 03:26 AM
i like it on the muddy side.

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM
However only days ago a found a new method. I was reading that in the old-timey days, they just used to boil the grounds in a saucepan, so I gave it a go. All I can say is WAAAAHHHOOOO!!!!!!! :shock: I have never had a caffeine hit like this before.... I'll be doing this a lot more now, at least till my heart gives out from the strain. :D

I think this what they refer to as Cowboy Coffee? (That they used to do on campfires)

steveneddy
July 26th, 2009, 04:35 AM
8 o'clock Coffee brand French Roast Coffee beans

Bring the bag home and freeze the beans.

Grind beans in the morning just before brewing.

Water at 210 degrees, poured slowly over the course grounds and stirred vigorously.

Steep for seven to eight minutes.

Enjoy.

PhoHammer
July 26th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Instant coffee for me :P

word
got that $10 coffee maker from wal-mart. Put that folgers in it and sit back...

epidemiks
July 26th, 2009, 07:43 AM
[x] Vietnamese Cà Phê style

black, 1 sugar. i can't hack it like the Vietnamese do with the sweetened condensed milk though.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2361/002sxj.jpg

HappinessNow
July 26th, 2009, 07:52 AM
[x] Vietnamese Cà Phê style

black, 1 sugar. i can't hack it like the Vietnamese do with the sweetened condensed milk though.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2361/002sxj.jpg

I remember having this once, with the sweetened condensed milk it is very sweet, I prefer my coffee black.

Rosemary Cindy
November 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
In the US, the Americans have so revolutionized the way coffee are being drank that inventing a cup that would keep your brew hot from the coffee shop to the workstation has become a challenge to one's ingenuity.

Butterknife
November 6th, 2009, 07:09 PM
The only kind of coffee I love completely is turkish coffee, brewed in a traditional turkish way and enjoyed over the span of an hour or so. Having grown up on this stuff, I can really get used to any other way of preparing coffee or any other kind of coffee. It has to be turkish. Blacker than night, strong as hell, and only the tiniest bit of sugar per pot to prevent me slipping into a coma. :D

tacantara
November 6th, 2009, 07:09 PM
In the US, the Americans have so revolutionized the way coffee are being drank that inventing a cup that would keep your brew hot from the coffee shop to the workstation has become a challenge to one's ingenuity.

That's never been an issue when I go to my favorite coffee place (Dunkin' Donuts). I can order a large coffee in the standard stryofoam cup, and it will stay hot for a whole hour. I think the secret is that they heat the coffee up just enough that, if you poured it on iron, you could forge it into useful tools ;)

To answer the OP's question, I prefer mine black. It doesn't matter if it's flavored or regular, I don't add anything to it.

StarLab
November 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
100% Drip-Brewed Columbian... a little sugar, no cream.

My good buddy, Juan Valdez, works his butt off so that I may enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning (x3), and one in the afternoon, not to mention the several cups in the evenings.

Oh, and as a word of warning, never buy coffee from Juan's brother, Chico Valdez. You see, he's just a short little guy and can't pick the good beans from the top of the plant.

Also, Chico has one of those Mountain Donkeys - where the legs on one side are shorter than the other. This is only good while going up the mountain. The minute they turn around to come down, the donkey falls over, spilling all the coffee beans.

This is why you never see Chico Valdez' coffee in the stores. By the time he gets home, he hardly has enough for his own coffee. This along with his inability to get the top beans off the plant always results in a shortage of inventory. ;)

How come there is no option for IV-Drip? Most effective way to get it into your system. :mrgreen:

PatrickBoyle
November 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Single origin Kona coffee brewed in a Bialetti stove-top for me. I buy it whole bean and grind it right before brewing. When Kona is unavailable (or I can't afford it) I usually go for Starbucks Sumatra whole bean.

Turkish coffee is my favorite though. I won't make the investment needed to make it at home, so it's only an occasional treat. There is a Mediterranean restaurant near home that brews an amazing pot.

On a side note: has anyone tried the new Starbucks VIA instant packets? I tried the extra bold Columbian, and was surprised at the quality

gnomeuser
November 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I love coffee.. but recent research shows that caffiene is doing harm to my Tourette's so I have cut out all products containing it to see if I do better.

When I do have coffee I am partial to my friends freshly ground kenya coffee in french press. Also the brazilian style of coffee is good but hella strong and warmer than the surface of the sun upon serving.

khelben1979
November 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Coffee don't work well with me, always go for tea instead.

sledge73
November 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
don't matter how it's prepared as long as it's hot. can't stand cold coffee.

falconindy
November 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Freshly ground, drip brewed, and just enough half and half to lighten the color. i drink it like it comes out of the faucet. On weekends, I'll break out my Silvia and make a double shot of espresso.

Reminds me, i need to make another pot.

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 09:26 PM

shut up.

oh, french press ftw.

bluelamp999
November 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Nespresso machine with the black capsules - concentrated espresso goodness...

drawkcab
November 7th, 2009, 03:01 AM
French press with quality whole beans. It might not be the very best way to prepare your coffee but it is relatively convenient and way better than using your standard drip coffee maker.

treesurf
November 7th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Same here. Served black.

Nevon
November 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I'm a simple man. I prefer a simple drip brew with some sugar.

The Real Dave
November 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I feel sacreligious but I'm about to say instant :) Don't have time or facilities for anything else :) 2 spoons of a dark, rich Kenco or Nescafe brew, and half a spoon of sugar :) Nice, smooth and strong. Black brw.

Though, when I get the opportunity, I love expresso :) I get my local Costa to put 6 expressos in one big cup when I go there :)

Arup
November 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
When I have time, French press with Malabar beans.

la3r
November 7th, 2009, 12:00 PM
:lolflag:
If it's black and hot, then I'll drink it :rolleyes:

alexk554
November 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Im not a HUGE coffee fan, but if I want coffee, I'll drink French Press.

Trog
November 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
3 spoons of instant, 4 spoons of sugar in my big, wide-based mug, splash of water to avoid burning my mouth.

WHAT?

issih
November 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Used to use an espresso machine, mostly use a french press now when I'm doing it properly.

I do like the look of that balancing siphon doohickey though, that would remind me of chemistry practicals :) It would definitely be one of those things you use once and then it just sits in the cupboard though..

sliketymo
November 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Folgers Gourmet Supreme,straight-up.An occasional double espresso.

pwnst*r
November 7th, 2009, 03:04 PM
for those that buy your coffee not ground, be sure to get a quality burr grinder, and not the a-typical blade grinder. big difference.

pookiebear
November 7th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I like my coffee to be green/red and come from a diet mtn dew bottle.

grinding your own coffee is for Arch users. :)

ShaneR
November 7th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Nothing like a pot of perked coffee here :)

My mother has been making it this way for years after many with an automatic drip. When I went out on my own years ago, a perculator was one of the first things I got. I've got my wife hooked on it now as well. We have two traditional perks in the house plus an electric.

love mine black, by the way,