PDA

View Full Version : Do you recycle your old laptops/computers?

saj0577
July 25th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Two nights ago my laptop decided to hit the early grave after a good amount of years of hard usage. Now I am left computerless apart from a server which is running in the attic.

If anyone has got a old computer/laptop that there not using that they are willing to recycle and they live in the UK please let me know, even if it will only run a server edition this is good enough as I could still use it to browse the internet and do basic tasks,(writing letters,work etc).

I have not got any money so could not really offer finance in return but I am more then willing to help with websites/hosting or anything computer based.

Help the planet. Help an ubuntu user.

Thanks in advance
Saj

p.s. I will check this thread as often as I can using friends computers or the local library.

philcamlin
July 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM
you could sell it for parts

saj0577
July 25th, 2009, 11:30 PM
you could sell it for parts

I think I am going to use the parts for a mini-itx in the future once I have some money because the price I would get its not worth selling them.

Saj

ugm6hr
July 26th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Have you looked at freecycle?

Post a message asking for a computer, and I think you may be surprised. Unfortunately, asking for stuff before offering anything is generally frowned upon...

Lots do come up, but they go pretty quickly.

You'd be very lucky to get a free laptop of any age though...

PS: Where in the UK? I think my brother's company gives away their old P3s; have to pay for LCD monitors though...

saj0577
July 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM
North East.

Even if it was just a motherboard with a CPU and graphics card it would be of use as I have HDDs, ram etc. But i understand the motherboard ad CPU is normally the part worth the most.

Saj

ugm6hr
July 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
It's not worth the postage or travel to send that kind of thing. You'd be better off looking locally.

saj0577
July 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Cheers for the advice anyway.
Cant cope using other peoples computers when they dont need them for a day here and there and th elibrary. Hate not being able to contribute to the community :(.

Anyone lives in North East and can help me let me know. Or even just the North (England)

Saj