PDA

View Full Version : Best Simple MP3 Player for 80+yr old w/ Alzheimers

nbotticelli
July 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hello, recently my grandfather had a terrible accident and hit his head and had to have brain surgery. He is now out of the home and living in an assisted living situation. He has alzheimers and has really lost a lot of functionality but can still do some basic things.

He is very upset though to be out of his home but right now he needs to be in assisted living and has to go through physicaly therapy to learn how to walk/talk again.

My father and I are trying to get together some music for him that would be familiar and hopefully ease his anxiety somewhat. I'm thinking sending him a bunch of cd's and a cd player wouldn't necessarily be the best idea.

What I would like to do is find a very simple, elegent, mp3 player that he could use either hooked up to headphones or some sort of dock/speakers.

Now I haven't really used or looked into mp3 players in about nine years though on a recent trip I did borrow an 8GB Ipod Nano which was the first time I've ever used an Ipod before. I must say that I was quite impressed with the elegance and design, quite simple, but definitely not what I'm looking for with my grandpa, plus it's too expensive too.

I've heard that the Ipod Shuffle is quite simple without any kind of menu/screens. I'm under the impression that you basically just press the "Play" button and that's it.

I'm told though that the shuffle may be too small and even then somewhat complicated, and that there may be a more simple solution than that.

Basically what I would like to do is load up a bunch of Jazz and classical from the 40's/50's/60's and send it to him in California. It won't be hooked up to a computer again in a very long time if ever so it should hold a decent amount (I think 8GB is quite sufficient, maybe even 4GB would work).

So, what solutions are out there that are very basic and would work for someone with limited motor skills?

Also, price is a factor, under a hundred dollars would be ideal, and as far as the technical merits of the device, it doesn't have to be the best technically, just super simple that an 80yr old with alzheimers can use it.

Thank you for your help!

philcamlin
July 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM
ipod shuffles are the best bang for your buck and simplicity

50$ at best buy

nbotticelli
July 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
They seem too small. It's got to be simple and accessible. He's got to be able to handle with it somewhat limited motor skills. If the shuffle wasn't so much about being smaller than a thing of chapstick it may not be so bad.

TBOL3
July 25th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Sansa clip. http://www.sandisk.com/products/default.aspx?catid=1363

You could also get an older shuffle, they are slightly bigger.

Also, I think the easiest, and biggest one, is the sansa shaker: http://www.sansashaker.com/ Although not really powerful enough for most people, if all you want is an audio player for someone who has little control, this should work, all you have to do, is shake it.

Anyway, you can find more info about audio players here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

Woormy
July 26th, 2009, 01:14 AM
The Creative Zen Stone is a little bigger than a matchbox with very simple contols. They're usually cheap too.

nbotticelli
July 27th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Thank you! I will have to go to a store and take a look at what is out there. Maybe there's

k3ttc4r
July 27th, 2009, 09:18 PM
i'd probably go for the shuffle, too.

there's really no menus or anything you gotta learn/get used too, and the whole thing basically just is one big play button, you can't miss it even if you try.

DeadSuperHero
July 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
iPod Shuffle. If you have problems remembering things, perhaps it's good to not even bother with playlists. So long as music is playing, you're satisfied, right?

Edit: That came out the wrong way. What I meant to say is that having familiar, great music in no particular order can actually be beneficial to people like you've described. No fiddling with interfaces, no playlists, no worries about managing files. Just press "Play"

nbotticelli
July 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Certainly, playlists are definitely unimportant. In fact I feel that having to deal with them would be unwanted and unnecessary.

So far it looks like from here and other places that I have looked that Ipod Shuffle is the way to go....Seems like the 2nd generation would probably be ideal though the storage capacity isn't the greatest.

Any ideas if there is a 2nd gen shuffle with a storage capacity higher than 2GB?

Foster Grant
July 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hello, recently my grandfather had a terrible accident and hit his head and had to have brain surgery. He is now out of the home and living in an assisted living situation. He has alzheimers and has really lost a lot of functionality but can still do some basic things.

He is very upset though to be out of his home but right now he needs to be in assisted living and has to go through physicaly therapy to learn how to walk/talk again.

My father and I are trying to get together some music for him that would be familiar and hopefully ease his anxiety somewhat. I'm thinking sending him a bunch of cd's and a cd player wouldn't necessarily be the best idea.

So, what solutions are out there that are very basic and would work for someone with limited motor skills?

Also, price is a factor, under a hundred dollars would be ideal, and as far as the technical merits of the device, it doesn't have to be the best technically, just super simple that an 80yr old with alzheimers can use it.

Thank you for your help!

Honestly, you may find very quickly that any MP3 player is not the right choice.

It's not just that it has to be simple. It's that he has to correctly remember how to use it. With Alzheimer's and dementia, remembering how things work -- especially new things -- is not a given.

About two years before she left us, my grandmother started confusing the TV remote with the telephone and also started to confuse the steps to operate the two -- the phone system at her assisted living facility required dialing 9 for an outside line and she thought she also had to do that to change the TV station.

While it may be simple enough for you, it may not be for him.

arcdrag
July 28th, 2009, 05:27 AM
What I would try to do is this. Forget about him figuring out an MP3 player...it isn't gonna happen. Instead, just aim to find a cheap mp3 player that connects to a cheap docking station. Most docking stations will operate pretty much the same as a regular cd player. If he has used a cd player in the past, he shouldn't have to much trouble. That is of course assuming that he's in the earliest stages of Alzheimers.

Jackelope
July 29th, 2009, 02:24 AM
You might look into Sweetpea3:
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/peapod-toys-sweetpea3-violet/4505-6490_7-32848608.html

Its for kids, but could maybe work.