PDA

View Full Version : Who says buying windows is a waste of money

DeadEnd
January 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Well I for one am happy that my money spent on Windows was also in turn wisely spent.
£337m from Mr gates towards "The Global Plan to Stop Tuberculosis" is not to be sniffed at considering one of richest nations in the world, UK only managed to pledge £43m.

tseliot
January 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM
He is a generous person. Every year he donates lots of money (which I'm sure other people would keep for themselves). I think nobody should criticise his choice.

Windows is a waste of money only if you feel frustrated when you use it (e.g. in my case). If you like it, use it. I don't see anything bad in using Windows.

frodon
January 27th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't compare genrousity and what a company or a man can do to get a better image, i keep in mind that Mr Gates also sell windows in the same contries which he offers help so he is not so generous ;)

tseliot
January 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't compare genrousity and what a company or a man can do to get a better image, i keep in mind that Mr Gates also sell windows in the same contries which he offers help so he is not so generous ;)
I don't like (REALLY) Bill Gates but I think that at least this aspect of his personality can be regarded as good.

Mutt
January 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I would like to think he did it out of generosity but the cynic in me thinks he did it more for the tax benefits. It's very common for the obscenely wealthy to give away what they were gonna pay in tax anyway. I'd do the same thing I guess.

John

tufkakf
January 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
If you want to give money to fight tuberkolosis, give money, don't buy windows.

angkor
January 27th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Who says buying windows is a waste of money

For me personally it would be, because I wouldn't be using it.

If I wanted to fund the "The Global Plan to Stop Tuberculosis" I imagine I can do so directly.

tseliot
January 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
If you want to give money to fight tuberkolosis, give money, don't buy windows.
Of course you're right. If you act out of generosity you should expect nothing in return. I think we all agree with this.

frodon
January 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I don't like (REALLY) Bill Gates but I think that at least this aspect of his personality can be regarded as good.Yes, of course ;)

equal
January 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Out of curiosity, couldn't you have just run Linux, and donated 100% of the money you spent on windows to this charity directly? Better than giving money to M$ and having some of it get donated for you.