PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] trying 2 install xubuntu several versions tried on imac g3 w/usb firewire(new world)

elmolden27
July 25th, 2009, 04:54 PM
i have tried like 4 different variations of xubuntu and no luck it boots from cd and i use the live video=ofonly option cuz no others will boot it just goes to white screen and says returning prom-init and shuts down but when i use video of only option it goes all the way to the desktop and it has no icons to click 4 install and it locks after about 4 mins on that screen, ive installed ubuntu mythbuntu xubuntu b4 on pc many times....id like to build a mac 4 once but this pos is a real p.i.m.a. id like to find a link to a cd that just installs from boot not load live desktop first cuz that aint working STATS ARE= G3 400MHZ 128MB RAM SLOT LOADER IMAC

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!:confused:

elmolden27
July 25th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Help!!!!!

tomasrey88
July 26th, 2009, 11:48 PM
If you are trying to install on 128 mb, you cannot run live cd. You have to install from command line or I think (I'm still trying to figure out how) you can install from the live cd WITHOUT RUNNING IT. If you run it, you will run into trouble since you don't have enough memory to run it.

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to put it on a USB keychain and then move it onto the hard drive. That's because it will run automatically as a live cd if you stick the cd in the cd drive. But as a file on the hard drive, it will not run, but just sit there. Then, run the execution file that will start the installation process.

Here's the problem. Which file is the execution file??? Please PM me or post a reply on here to let me know.

Thanks,
:P

tomasrey88
August 10th, 2009, 06:08 PM
i figured it out. you use the alternate install cd. it is a cd that uses less ram by having no graphics (just text). http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs-Xubuntu/9.04/release/

elmolden27
August 11th, 2009, 04:17 PM
nevermind but thanxs anyway i upgraded to 1 gig ram for 20 bucks and got osx tiger.....(so pretty i think im going to try for ubuntu now,