PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Empathy gets network error on Yahoo

fballem
July 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Currently running Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 Desktop. I've installed Empathy from the repositories.

I get a network error when I try to connect to my Yahoo connect. I know that the username and password are correct, because I can connect through the web.

I'm wondering if the problem could be a port (the default is 5050), but I don't have enough knowledge to diagnose or fix the problem if this is the case.

Any help to get Yahoo working through Empathy would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

B Crowther
July 27th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Similar story to fballem, but on a different protocol: 64 bit 9.04 Desktop, just changed to Empathy instead of Pidgin, all has been working fine until just now, when I have started to get the network error message on MSN - my Yahoo is still fine.

Also get an error telling me I cannot make file transfers because the intended recipient doesn't have facilities to receive them. This is a bit of a backward step from Pidgin, which would transfer files via MSN and Yahoo, but not GTalk.

Voice and video only work on GTalk, but that is one more protocol than they worked on in Pidgin.

Whether it is Pidgin or Empathy, there ain't a lot of difference in performance. Skype is still the Rolls Royce app for Linux, if only I could get my Windahs Hillbilly mates to use it I could live happily ever after.

B Crowther
July 27th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Hmmm, just saw a suggestion to try "killall telepathy-butterfly" in another post: did that and restarted Empathy, MSN is back.

hoazin
July 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Had the same "Network Error" problem with MSN. Tried the "killall telepathy-butterfly" thing and it came back to life ...

sarfarazkazi
July 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Go to Edit > Accounts and in the Server box add cn. at the beginning. For example, if the Server box says "scs.msg.yahoo.com" then change it to "cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com"

Hopefully, this will fix your connection problem. And don't forget to disable and then re-enable the account for changes to take effect.

Vevmesteren
September 18th, 2009, 12:57 AM
is the "cn." a yahoo only solution? In any case, do you care to elaborate as to what this "cn." means, what server are we submitting our user data to when connecting to this server?

thanks

zeroseven0183
September 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Still has Network Error after adding cn.

ben2talk
September 20th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hmmm, just saw a suggestion to try "killall telepathy-butterfly" in another post: did that and restarted Empathy, MSN is back.

Indeed, killing butterfly restored my connection one time. I was trying to stay in contact, and Pidgin logged in very quickly (not that it hasn't shown some difficulty with MSN before).

This isn't a fix, though, and doesn't work every time. Is this an issue with MSN trying to outlaw clients?

I did notice, during current bloat upgrades - Live Messenger is disabled to force the upgrade now. The upgrade for Messenger is 140MB - and further inspection reveals a lot of parallel installations (Microsoft offer you the chance to select ones you wish to install - but they're pre selected for you in typical 'let's push it' fashion).

Reading the EULA reveals that by having a Live account, you agree not to use said account with any UNAUTHORISED messenger. It appears that Microsoft may be making life difficult for Empathy.

Any thoughts on this?

xghstst0riesx
September 29th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I've tried the above suggestions and still get a network error. Anyone know what the issue is? Is Empathy also affected by the Yahoo protocol change that broke Pidgin Yahoo support?

n2dabloo
December 25th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Bump, I'm getting the "network error" as well with Empathy trying to access my yahoo messenger account. Oh well, it looks like I'll be sticking with Pidgin and Kopete

earthbound01
May 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm still even now getting these darned network errors.

yippy
May 26th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Apparently "Network Error" is the only error message it knows. I was getting that today and it was because my login name was wrong. Double-check your login info just in case.

roeldebacker
July 29th, 2010, 10:17 AM
great help.
I used my e-mail adress to connect to facebook chat but apparently you need to use a username.
It's announced but as a well-educated computer user: I NEVER read manuals :p

better start doing that :rolleyes:

seanbw
August 31st, 2010, 10:59 PM
I read this message and it resolved my problem.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1522691&highlight=empathy,+yahoo
or to summarise: when entering your user name, dont add the @yahoo.com or equivalent part.

chunky bacon!
January 27th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I'm still even now getting these darned network errors.

Bump. Me, too, and so far, none of the resolutions I've seen have helped.

User/pw is fine (double checked through web client).

:confused:

Edit: This appears to be a problem in Pidgin as well, so perhaps this is something to do with Yahoo. I noticed from a google search on this issue with Pidgin that in 2009, people were having issues with this and were plugging different servers into the account settings on Pidgin. I think Yahoo has shut that down as well.

Also, Yahoo Questions removes any questions dealing with this as somehow violating a policy, so perhaps I'll just stick with the google chat accounts, and say good bye to yahoo messenger.

alinajafi
March 12th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Hello everyone.

I have a workaround for this problem. Check if this solves your problem:
When you get "network error" open System Monitor and end "telepathy-haze" process. Then in System Settings > Online Accounts switch your Yahoo account OFF and ON.