PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3.5 installation - Why make it hard when its so easy?

cb2410
July 25th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Why the need of Terminal or Packet Manager if you can download Firefox directly visiting Mozillas website and launch it via Desktop shortcut after you unpacked it anywhere?

:popcorn:

presence1960
July 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
after you use terminal for a while you will realize it is easier and faster. I guess if you aren't comfortable with terminal then use that method you described.

I remember being intimidated by terminal commands when I first started using linux. But I wanted to learn linux and now after I install Ubuntu I basically install all software in the repositories needed on that machine via terminal. I do a lot of work for others who want to try linux and terminal is a great tool to have.

You can use either method, but if you want more control of your linux system you will continue to try to learn terminal, it is a great friend to have! remember Rome wasn't built in a day, but terminal is your friend. In my opinion you are missing out if you insist on doing everything GUI, but then again that is your choice.

I may be wrong, but if you install a package that is not in the repositories you will get no updates or upgrades for that particular package. Again I may be wrong because I never do a dist upgrade, but I believe you must uninstall all software not in the repositories before doing an upgrade (i.e. 8.10 ->9.04)

aysiu
July 25th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Why extract it and create a desktop shortcut, when you could copy and paste (with your mouse) one command into the terminal to have it fully integrated?
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox