PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] copying/ moving files with standard filemanager

vitkowal
July 25th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hi!

Sorry for the following rant, but I am a bit frustrated with VLC/ Ubuntu/ Gnome because I have been trying to use linux on the desktop since 1994 ... and always got thrown back to win because of desktop "usabilty". As a debian user I would be quite happy with ubuntu, if it were not for the problem in GUI-File-Management which brings me to VLC which seems to have inherited some problem ...

I noticed some deviant (from the well established standards in GUIs, i.e. W2K) behaviour in Gnomes File Manager, especially with regard to moving files around - not all ways established in W2K do work. Sometimes you have to be on the right side of the the window, sometimes on the left side, even copy/cut and paste are sometimes unexpectedly greyed out - w2k would just do what I want - not so with gnome. Sometimes I just open xterm to get things done, which would only be a few clicks in W2K. Note that most of my files are on smb-shares.

I have not yet found a well integrated ubuntu file manager that would help to ease the transition from W2K (not mc) ... does anybody have a hint (apt-get install ...)?

Ok, back to VLC - how do I coax the beast into accepting dragged and dropped files (multiple) from smb-shares? Or is this a flaw in gnome that VLC cannot get around?

I am actually quite frustrated with vlc on ubuntu (all versions up to 9.04) because of this misbehaviour on the part of vlc/linux/gnome. It is no problem accessing the smb-shares and playing one file with "right click, open with vlc".

Dragging a bunch of files to the playlist-window does nothing (at least nothing obvious as adding the files to the playlist) - on win2k everything works ... why not with linux.

Thanks a lot in advance!

mat