PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] avg install

bearcreek10
July 25th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Just installed avg-free and cannot access it. The install went fine, no errors. There is supposed to be a shortcut in applications/accessories but there isnt one. I have reinstalled, again with no problems or errors. How do I pull up avg to configure and update?

lisati
July 25th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I don't currently have it installed, but apparently the latest linux-friendly version of AVG Free is command line only.

Edit:
Link for latest (as of posting) Ubuntu-friendly version: http://www.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg85flx-r287-a2632.i386.deb
Link for AVG free forum: http://free.avg.com/freeforum-guide-post

bearcreek10
July 25th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I am new to ubuntu, so does this mean everything I want to do with avg I have to do it from a terminal box and take a wild stab at the command to open what I want?

lisati
July 25th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I am new to ubuntu, so does this mean everything I want to do with avg I have to do it from a terminal box and take a wild stab at the command to open what I want?

It has been a while since I've had AVG on my Ubuntu installation, so I'm not in a good position to contribute much more than I already have. You might want to try the following for information:
man avg
Hopefully someone else might be able to confirm this.

bearcreek10
July 25th, 2009, 06:52 AM
That is the install package I used.

bearcreek10
July 25th, 2009, 06:53 AM
What antivirus are you using?

shantiq
July 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Just installed avg-free and cannot access it. The install went fine, no errors. There is supposed to be a shortcut in applications/accessories but there isnt one. I have reinstalled, again with no problems or errors. How do I pull up avg to configure and update?

well mine comes under system tools on the applications dropdown box

i am using jaunty

shan:)

warfacegod
July 25th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Why use anti-virus at all? It's my understanding that about the worst that can happen is that you might infect a windows machine. I been using ubuntu linux for over two years and not one virus. I do scan with ClamAV occasionally just to see.

bearcreek10
July 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
You answered your own question. If you send an email or put a flash drive in the linux machine, then put the flash drive in a windows machine or open email, you could send a virus without knowing it. That is why you run antivirus. I have both machines, windows and ubuntu, and I use my flash drive to transfer some files.

Shantiq, that is why I posted, it is not in my Applications!

gastly
July 25th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Why not use ClamAV? http://www.clamav.net

warfacegod
July 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Then I will rephrase my question. Why use [I]active[I] antivirus?

shantiq
July 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM
i thought you meant you could not see it
but it is there under system tools
and it shows a commandline picture on my screen

on a diferent post a guy says use avgscan and path you want to scan
and avgupdate to update

And you should run those with sudo.

but they do not work for me