PDA

View Full Version : MS made their own version of Linux?

windows-killer
July 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I have a facts generation software instaleed on my ipod touch.
I was looking through some facts and one of them stated:

Microsft made a version of Linux during the 1990s but they couldint sell it because it was considered too stable by the QC (quality control)

now this looks funny, does anyone have details about this?

lswb
July 25th, 2009, 03:31 AM
It was a version of unix in the 80s actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix

aesis05401
July 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Unless your fact-generator has access to internal MS docs I don't think it could be correct.

MS and IBM teamed up for OS/2 in the early nineties (I owned a copy of Warp release and that was '94(?)).

OS/2 was supported by IBM through 2006, but has since been discontinued. There are all sorts of legends about why those two companies agreed to work together, why MS pulled out of the project, and why things like the OS/2 network tools were not salvaged.

OS/2 was before Linux hit any sort of mind-share, though. Do you have any more info or is that all the program told you?

aesis05401
July 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
It was a version of unix in the 80s actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix

MS didn't write Xenix, they licensed it and then extended it for compatibility.

windows-killer
July 25th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Unless your fact-generator has access to internal MS docs I don't think it could be correct.

MS and IBM teamed up for OS/2 in the early nineties (I owned a copy of Warp release and that was '94(?)).

OS/2 was supported by IBM through 2006, but has since been discontinued. There are all sorts of legends about why those two companies agreed to work together, why MS pulled out of the project, and why things like the OS/2 network tools were not salvaged.

OS/2 was before Linux hit any sort of mind-share, though. Do you have any more info or is that all the program told you?

thats all the info I got

MaxIBoy
July 25th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Xenix was a version of the System V UNIX, licensed from AT&T and neutered stripped down to run on old 16-bit 8086. SCO later licensed it and claimed that Linux would never have had high-end, enterprise-level features unless the developers had stolen code from Xenix. Idiots.