PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NOOB: first time ubuntu install

mlinauer
July 25th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I am new to Ubuntu and I am new to linux. I know it is superior to windows and since I am sick of windows (they do not deserve to have their first letter capitalized) I am now going with Ubuntu. I WILL learn to use it and love it because anyone who has lived through the crap I have with miyoursoft, can learn a new OS. How do I know? I had to do that everytime I upgraded my windows!!!

With my complaining out of the way, I can now focus on my problem. I am trying to instal Ubuntu on virtual machine using miyoursofts virtual pc. I am doing this so that I can learn how to use Ubuntu and do a transition which would not cause me any downtime. Problem is that I only get black screens when installing it.

Here are my specs:
Toshiba laptop
model: satellite M305D
processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core 2.1GHz
Memory: 4 gigs
System Type: 6-bit OS

Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for being too paniced to check for any threads that might address this issue already.

philcamlin
July 25th, 2009, 02:41 AM
try booting from live cd into the live session then try installing from there

or you could try the alternate cd :popcorn:

mlinauer
July 25th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Will installing Ubuntu screw up my vista? yeah I know that it would not be a big loss if I could not use vista again but I need a computer to operate on.

spcwingo
July 25th, 2009, 02:47 AM
If you just want to try to virtualize, try VirtualBox.

clicky (http://www.virtualbox.org/)

mlinauer
July 25th, 2009, 02:53 AM
okay I will try vitualbox. thanks for the help!!!!

JOHNNYG713
July 25th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Yes virtualbox does work for what it is worth ! but ! if you want a REAL operating system that has it all! and I mean HAS IT ALL go here:

http://ultimateedition.info/

And try ULTIMATE EDITION IT IS what mac and windblows want to be ! and never can be! and never will be! its a live "DVD" at a whopping 2.2 gigs ,takes a while to download but well worth the wait ! you'll be frigin amazed! :D runs all the goodies right off the live dvd, and it looks like you have the equipment to run it,just run live for awhile and test it out ,then make the leap, in to the future! you'll love it :P

hansdown
July 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM
With 4gb of ram, running the live cd should be most impressive. As philcamlin pointed out.

leetkangaroo
July 25th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Installing ubuntu won't effect your windows install aslong as you set up the ubuntu partitioner correctly. It's good to have both as linux isn't so good for games :(

mlinauer
July 25th, 2009, 03:24 AM
okay I installed virtualbox and am installing Ubuntu and I have downloaded ultimate edition. I long for LINUX!!!!

mlinauer
July 25th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Installing ubuntu won't effect your windows install aslong as you set up the ubuntu partitioner correctly. It's good to have both as linux isn't so good for games :(

I play web based games anyways. The only one I will miss is World of Warcraft and I have not been able to play that since I lost my job. I guess I will have to create a team to reverse program WOW and make it functional on Linux if it has not been done already. Remember I am a NOOB!!!

sailthesea
July 25th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I play web based games anyways. The only one I will miss is World of Warcraft and I have not been able to play that since I lost my job. I guess I will have to create a team to reverse program WOW and make it functional on Linux if it has not been done already. Remember I am a NOOB!!!

Already done and working very well from what I can see
Google Wow and Ubuntu together and track down the setup you need If you are running a virtual system any way it shouldn't be hard at all:)
And Welcome!

philcamlin
July 25th, 2009, 04:19 AM
hope you like your ubuntu install :popcorn:

mlinauer
July 25th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I have no reason to go back to windows. I just need to learn Ubuntu now which I know I will be able to do. E am smert iftar ell.

leetkangaroo
July 25th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Lol I don't think that will happen though its already on the mac so i don't know. Many people play wow through wine a windows something something it basicly lets you play some windows games on linux. Not many games work though but i think wow is one of the ones that do work quite well and wow is naab material real men play pokemon gold on a gameboy emulator.

mlinauer
July 25th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Okay so I have ubuntu installed in virtualbox and I have to say that it is very similar except faster. I think I love it already and I have barely used it. Finally I am using software I like. I even know how to use open office already since I have been using it for years.

philcamlin
July 25th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Okay so I have ubuntu installed in virtualbox and I have to say that it is very similar except faster. I think I love it already and I have barely used it. Finally I am using software I like. I even know how to use open office already since I have been using it for years.

great :popcorn:

mlinauer
July 25th, 2009, 05:40 AM
well I did something wrong to the virtualbox and now it does not work. I have to reinstall ubuntu. I think it was that I changed the settings to the virtualbox. I wanted more ram and video memory. I stay up late so I have at least 4 more hours to play with it. woohoo.

stlsaint
July 25th, 2009, 06:56 AM
i am truly amazed...i read through this entire post and did not see one mention of wubi...hey guy...just re-install ultimate edition(i too am an ultimate user) thru the wubi that came with the iso! you will have windows and ultimate with just the click of a few buttons without having to restart everytime which is what i do since i have partitions for xp vista and ultimate but hey...yea try the wubi install within windows and you will get the whole linux experience before you go changing up your precious 64bit!!

mlinauer
July 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM
i am truly amazed...i read through this entire post and did not see one mention of wubi...hey guy...just re-install ultimate edition(i too am an ultimate user) thru the wubi that came with the iso! you will have windows and ultimate with just the click of a few buttons without having to restart everytime which is what i do since i have partitions for xp vista and ultimate but hey...yea try the wubi install within windows and you will get the whole linux experience before you go changing up your precious 64bit!!

Okay so I have installed wubi and it told me to reboot. So I rebooted and now I cannot find it. What do I do now?

mlinauer
July 26th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Okay this shows you how little I know about linux. I am glad to have used wubi to install Ubuntu, and I should have read the instructions better. I was rebooting and realized that wubi had dual booted my system for me and I was able to finish the installation of ubuntu. I just need to connect my wireless.

mlinauer
July 26th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I am using Ubuntu. I just need to research how to install flash now so I can play games online on facebook. I love UBUNTU!!!

wow that was easy. I guess I am intimidated by a new os.

Now I just need to learn how to network my computers. Or maybe I should install the server version of Ubuntu on my server.