PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about installing Linux on AMD based systems?

celebbbb
July 25th, 2009, 12:52 AM
(I'm a noob, so very sorry if wrong section, or post already exists and did not make its way into search results)

I plan to install a Linux distro on an 64 bit AMD PC. Would it cause issues if I instal a distro labled "Intel based systems" on this AMD based PC? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the processor involved effect the kernel to a high degree? Specifically with Ubuntu 9.04, would a distro than runs on Intel have any issues with and AMD processor?

I use Kubuntu 9.04 32bit running on a looped flash drive persistant install, would this work fine on an AMD processor, or would there be compatibility issues? I ask this, because Ubuntu will not run on the PS3 for the reason of an AMD cell processor, while somewhat unrelated, it sill requires PowerPC 128bit version for AMD cell processors.

Any insight is appreciated, even if it involves Fedora, or Red Hat distros (sorry if over the line on this forum :sad:).

mike3244
July 25th, 2009, 01:14 AM
The 64 bit version of Ubuntu will run on Intel and AMD chipsets - as will the 32 bit.

starcraft.man
July 25th, 2009, 01:15 AM
(I'm a noob, so very sorry if wrong section, or post already exists and did not make its way into search results)

Really, you don't have to say sorry even if you did. Nobody is gonna explode and go OMG you moron. We're all very friendly. :)

I plan to install a Linux distro on an 64 bit AMD PC. Would it cause issues if I instal a distro labled "Intel based systems" on this AMD based PC? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the processor involved effect the kernel to a high degree? Specifically with Ubuntu 9.04, would a distro than runs on Intel have any issues with and AMD processor?

Sigh, wish years ago we'd come up with better names than intel x86 and AMD64. The short answer is no, it doesn't matter which you use. All AMD and Intel chips that your likely to find fully support x86/32 bit. You know your CPU is 64 bit so install that if you want, the major advantage is native use of more than 4 GB RAM, and some advantages in large calculations.

For longer explanation see > Amd64 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64).

I use Kubuntu 9.04 32bit running on a looped flash drive persistant install, would this work fine on an AMD processor,

Yes. Or Kubuntu 9.04 64bit. Either

I ask this, because Ubuntu will not run on the PS3 for the reason of an AMD cell processor, while somewhat unrelated, it sill requires PowerPC 128bit version for AMD cell processors.

PPC and PS3 ports are not official. You can go here (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/9.04/release/) and download appropriate ISOs. I can't support either, I haven't done them.

celebbbb
July 25th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Thank you both very much! The atmosphere here is so much nicer than elsewhere.