PDA

View Full Version : stumbled across this- ubuntu thread on another forum

blur xc
July 25th, 2009, 12:06 AM
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,87807.0.html

Interesting read- looks like that forum need more Ubuntu experts...

Just another example of a windows user trying to use ubuntu like windows.

BM

magh-87
July 25th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Definitely interesting. Perhaps people are finally realizing that Linux is superior?

pelle.k
July 25th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Perhaps people are finally realizing that Linux is an alternative?
There, i fixed it for you. For whom is linux superior? It probably is, for you. However, that doesn't mean it is for everyone.

unknownPoster
July 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Um...several people gave him an appropriate answer, so I'm not sure what the OP is talking about...

blur xc
July 25th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Um...several people gave him an appropriate answer, so I'm not sure what the OP is talking about...

Go back- read the thread again- count just how much misinformation was given in proportion to accurate information. The ratio is not good.

Just because YOU know what the right answer was, doesn't mean the OP did. So, he's weeding through a bunch of information, some good, mostly crap, but to him it's all the same. Then he will decide on what makes most sense to him (pretty much what goes along with what he's used to) and do that (log in as root, or give himself root powers).

BM

heroidi
July 25th, 2009, 12:33 AM
lol

unknownPoster
July 25th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Go back- read the thread again- count just how much misinformation was given in proportion to accurate information. The ratio is not good.

Just because YOU know what the right answer was, doesn't mean the OP did. So, he's weeding through a bunch of information, some good, mostly crap, but to him it's all the same. Then he will decide on what makes most sense to him (pretty much what goes along with what he's used to) and do that (log in as root, or give himself root powers).

BM

I'd argue that a lot of the threads here at UF are the same way...but I'm done with this.

Sealbhach
July 25th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Why does he want to run as root? I don't get it.:confused:

pelle.k
July 25th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Why does he want to run as root? I don't get it.
I guess he's in the "xp mindset", where things are "complicated" when running as an ordinary user. Someone should explain to him that in ubuntu, things will work just as well as an ordinary user...
I also don't think some of these people realize the difference between an "administrator account" in System>Administration>"user and groups", and the actual "root account". An administrator account is simple an (ordinary user) account that can escalate privilegies through sudo/policykit, just like the default account created at install. It's not a "root account".