PDA

View Full Version : How often do you exercise and how?

gletob
July 25th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Since old threads apparently aren't good enough for these forums even if some find the interesting, I'll start this thread. I exercise at least twice a week. I go for a brisk 20-30 minute jog on the treadmill, light weights, and run (I guess you could call it that) on an elliptical.

So how and how often do you get your exercise in?

CJ Master
July 25th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I do pushups, lunges, crunches, calf raises, etc... I try to do it every other day.

dragos240
July 25th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I think I did some last year.

Regenweald
July 25th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Pushups, Pullups, swimming, heavy weights, hill running, it's hard to gain weight :) i need to invest in some protein. Started an exercise thread a long time ago. died a horrible death.

JDShu
July 25th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Run between 2 and 3 km a day, six times a week. I lift on my rest day.

nubimax
July 25th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I walk with my two dogs for 2 hours a day I think that is pretty good for a 70 year old.
M

LookTJ
July 25th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I go swimming an hour a day and push myself sometimes in my wheelchair.

wojox
July 25th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I run (my mouth) all the time!!!!
Two sanctions to prove it.

keplerspeed
July 25th, 2009, 02:52 AM
cycling a few times a week, anywhere from 10km to 140km.

Also some social squash and soccer. I have never been a fan of gyms, treadmills. I rather sports, and getting outside.

Commisar Jimp
July 25th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I'm *supposed* to run 5-6 times a week to get ready for cross country, but that hasn't been happening.

Icehuck
July 25th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I lift weights, do various cardio, monday - friday. I'm usually at the gym by 5am.

Little Bit
July 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I'm in gymnastics and dance. I practice both every day. Really important to stretch and warm up before diving in, and cool down afterwards. I always regret it when I skip the stretching and warmups, lol.

Amy

lisati
July 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I prefer to get my exercise in the form of a brisk walk that gets me to where I'm going when I have errands to do. I'm mildly suspicious of suggestions that I should be going to the gymn when I could be out and about doing something potentially useful (e.g. tending to errands and chores) or spending time here at the forums.

Regenweald
July 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I lift weights, do various cardio, monday - friday. I'm usually at the gym by 5am.

If someone tried to get me to the gym by 5 am, it'd probably end in violence. My optimal training time is mid-morning, which is a horrible time, thanks to either classes or work.

I've trained myself to night-gym.

chucky chuckaluck
July 25th, 2009, 04:09 AM
hill sprints, nearly everyday, daily deadlifts, olympic lifts when my shoulder isn't screwed up.

gashcr
July 25th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I do a lot of stuff, I'm training for triple jump, so I need to do sprinting, gym, hill job, etc, etc, etc. 6 days a week

chucky chuckaluck
July 25th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I do a lot of stuff, I'm training for triple jump, so I need to do sprinting, gym, hill job, etc, etc, etc. 6 days a week

how did you get hooked up with the triple jump? do you live near a stream?

mynameinc
July 25th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I alternate:
On odd numbered days I bench 160lb x25, bicep curl 120lb x50, chest fly 120lb x25, and pull down 120lb x50.
On even numbered days I do resisted ab crunches 120lb x100, work on max bench press (210lb as of Fri Jul 24 2009).

leetkangaroo
July 25th, 2009, 04:45 AM
exercise should be a everyday thing, I usually target different muscle groups daily but not consecutively. Say abs arms monday legs back tuesday apart from that i run/brisk walk for atleast 30 mins. twas wondering I'm 18 should i start using weights or should i wait a little?

heroidi
July 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I do push-ups almost every night i end working when i have time run a lot and i mean 1 hour or something like that, love swimming and weight lifting used to do it but now i do it more rarely, that's why i have strong hands and it maybe from working because i must lift almost everyday with my coullage about 70 to 80 kilograms of fish we lift them together we must walk about 30 meters with that heavy weight and put it in the car.

I'm just 15.

clonne4crw
July 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I do push-ups and crunches every night. It's nothing compared to other people in this thread, but they have done a good job of getting me in (a better) shape.

chucky chuckaluck
July 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I alternate:
On odd numbered days I bench 160lb x25, bicep curl 120lb x50, chest fly 120lb x25, and pull down 120lb x50.
On even numbered days I do resisted ab crunches 120lb x100, work on max bench press (210lb as of Fri Jul 24 2009).

you might want to read up on rotator cuff impingement syndrome. you've got a lot of push and only one pull move.

Granito_man
August 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
I ride my bike to mi job each day (commuting i think its' called) that's 30 kms on daily basis. Beside that i ridee my mountain bike like 3 times a week.

amitabhishek
August 3rd, 2009, 07:10 AM
I exercise for an hour and half every day. I am not into body building but I'd love to have a washboard abs!!! I have been working on it for last 6 months without much success :(!

Monday:Cardio + abs
Tuesday: Arms and shoulder
Wednesday:Cardio + abs
Thursday:Chest and back
Friday: Lower body + abs

ahmatti
August 3rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
It varies Roller blading, gym, skiing, cykling, badminton... I try to get 3x1h/week, but sometimes down to one time a week.

PurposeOfReason
August 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
I alternate:
What chuck said. I'm more wondering how you're doing 60lb per arm on curling but only 160lb bench. You should really get more chest exercises.

For exercise I just lift weights. Nothing too routine, just whatever I feel what I need. Run every now and then too.

Giant Speck
August 3rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
I work on a Panama schedule:

S M T W H F S
S M T W H F S

On the days that I work, I bike 3 miles to work and then 3 miles back.

On my days off, I ride approximately 35 to 45 miles each day.

Every night before going to bed I do pushups and crunches and I do them again when I wake up in the morning.

moster
August 3rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
I alternate:

Never see something like that. What is your goals with this routine?

toupeiro
August 3rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
I dont get as much exercise as I should. I sometimes take 2 fifteen minute walks a day which forces me to take my two breaks at work around the marketplace, and I get swimming in where I can but with the air being so bad here and it gets 110+, there are actual public health warnings about being outside for too long in the summer. I recently borrowed a Wii Fit to see if its worth the investment, and I have a DDR pad.:D I havent used it in a while, but I still like to break it out now and again. I need to do it more.:P

Glenn Jones
August 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Nice thread.

I've just got into crossfit since March and I love it. It's basically a combination of gymnastics, power-lifting and sprinting. Strength and endurance wise it's been amazing. Any rugby, American football players etc should check it out.

Quick comment regarding the shoulder impingement. I've dislocated my shoulder twice playing rugby and never had any surgery on it, actually I was never given physio on it after it came out. I suffered a lot from shoulder impingement for about 4-5 years. Since discovering crossfit I have yet to have any impingement problems (touch wood). I think a lot of that is to do with the number of press-ups, chin-ups, dips etc I now do as part of crossfit. On top of that good posture is essential in reducing shoulder impingement (or so I've found).

BTW I continue to play rugby without any strapping on my shoulder.

ukripper
August 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
3 - 4 days a week heavy weight strength training, treadmill hill plus for 17 mins twice a week, rowing once a week. Pushups (using Everlast pushup grips) three times a week. Herbalife shakes everyday!

Keyper7
August 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
I do pushups, lunges, crunches, calf raises, etc... I try to do it every other day.

Oh, CALF raises, not CAR raises. I was already thinking "Holy crap, this guy is strong".

sports fan Matt
August 3rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Used to in Chicago 4-5 times a week..now not so much.

moster
August 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I exercise for an hour and half every day. I am not into body building but I'd love to have a washboard abs!!! I have been working on it for last 6 months without much success :(!

Monday:Cardio + abs
Tuesday: Arms and shoulder
Wednesday:Cardio + abs
Thursday:Chest and back
Friday: Lower body + abs
Maybe then should somebody tell you that you will dont get abs from workout if you do not get your diet right. :)

chucky chuckaluck
August 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
just started doing hindu pushups. there are a lot of little muscles in the shoulders that i was previously unaware of.

walkerk
August 3rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Mornings:

Push-ups/Pull-ups/Dips: Mon/Wed/Fri
Sit-ups/Cruches/Leg-lifts: Tue/Thur

Evenings:

Run (5mi): Mon/Wed/Fri
Bike (10-15mi): Tue/Thur

I'm pretty strict to this schedule.

arcdrag
August 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Lately I've been cycling around 10k 3 days/wk, with some weight lifting and pushups 2 days a week. Hopefully, with next semester I'll have less 80+ hour weeks and I'll be able to get a little more serious with it.

drawkcab
August 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Nice thread.

I've just got into crossfit since March and I love it. It's basically a combination of gymnastics, power-lifting and sprinting. Strength and endurance wise it's been amazing. Any rugby, American football players etc should check it out.

Crossfit is pretty awesome but you definitely have to be in shape to even start following their daily workouts. It also helps to have someone coach you through basic powerlifting and, especially, the olympic lifting if you've never done it before.

As for me, I am currently on hiatus from endurance cycling. I follow joe defranco's westside barbell for skinny bastards (http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html) and play basketball 1-3 hours, 3 times a week.

I am single and my gym is a block from my office so I have no excuse not to be fit. Maybe I'll get back into cycling this winter.

prime85
August 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
i have been going to the gym everyday. lately i have been trying to loose the weight i gained since i stoped going last year. i got back down to 175lb(79.55kg) so i figure after i lose another 10lbs(4.55kg) i will start with weights.

i have been doing 30 minutes running on treadmill, then 30 minutes on elliptical then last i do a 30 minutes on the stair stepper which seems to be the best workout from all of them.8-)

chucky chuckaluck
August 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Crossfit is pretty awesome but you definitely have to be in shape to even start following their daily workouts. It also helps to have someone coach you through basic powerlifting and, especially, the olympic lifting if you've never done it before.

rippetoe's "starting strength" is pretty comprehensive if you don't want to mess with a coach. there are also plenty of forums, including crossfit, where you can post vids of your lifts and get some critique.

Glenn Jones
August 3rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
rippetoe's "starting strength" is pretty comprehensive if you don't want to mess with a coach. there are also plenty of forums, including crossfit, where you can post vids of your lifts and get some critique.

I've heard good things about that book. The crossfit journal is also very good as it have video seminars and pdf files on lifting etc and it's only $25 for a years subscriptionw hich I think is reasonable.

One quick note try and keep a log book. Nothing beats the feeling of getting a new personal best.

drawkcab
August 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
In terms of strength training, if you do your research and learn how to work out, you can become massively stronger in a short period without putting a whole lot of time in. Working smarter, not harder is one of the keys along with rest and nutrition. It is easy to overtrain at which point your workouts become counter-productive.

As for cardio, I say do something you think is fun. I want to shoot myself after about 10 mins on a cardio machine, but I can play basketball for 2 hours or go on a 30 mile road ride in the mountains.

lisati
August 4th, 2009, 06:55 AM
In terms of strength training, if you do your research and learn how to work out, you can become massively stronger in a short period without putting a whole lot of time in. Working smarter, not harder is one of the keys along with rest and nutrition. It is easy to overtrain at which point your workouts become counter-productive.

As for cardio, I say do something you think is fun. I want to shoot myself after about 10 mins on a cardio machine, but I can play basketball for 2 hours or go on a 30 mile road ride in the mountains.

Couldn't agree more with the "being smart" and enjoyment side of things: while not wanting to minimize the enjoyment people get from gymn and other such activities, I hate going to the gymn and get more satisfaction from doing something useful like mowing the lawn or seeing the look on Mrs Lisati's face when I agree to go for a walk with her...... Mind you, the weather hasn't been the greatest for either today, the rain was pouring down earlier!

Blu Fox
August 4th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Just started working out again after a long time since I got my ingrown toenail (very painful) removed. Right now I'm just doing basics, situps and pushups. Right now I can do 4 reps of 25 situps and 2 reps of 25 pushups. I plan on keeping this up for at least every night to keep myself in shape and maybe add to the number of reps as time goes on

As for cardio, half an hour walk around the neighborhood usually suits me fine.

CJ Master
August 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Oh, CALF raises, not CAR raises. I was already thinking "Holy crap, this guy is strong".

Oh, that too! :D

amitabhishek
August 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Maybe then should somebody tell you that you will dont get abs from workout if you do not get your diet right. :)

I am aware of the diet part...losing stubborn belly fat and getting a sculpted midsection takes much more effort and time IMO...so I guess its a matter of time... :)