PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] no video signal to SONY LCD DISPLAY

LineAxe
July 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hi all, I just installed ubuntu 9.04 server with no problems
. When I went to put the desktop on ,it loaded it all in with no problem but when it tried to run the GUI , it came of with a NO SIGNAL message on my SONY BRAVIA KDL-32S5100 LCD digital color TV. I have installed windows XP on a seperate drive and it works with no problems at the various screen resolutions.
Now I tried using the gnome desktop , it installed with no problems until i tried to actually run it ( NO SIGNAL )
Then I tried using kubuntu desktop, same thing, it installed with no problems and still i got NO SIGNAL to the LCD display..
Anyone can you HHHHHHHHHHHHELLLLPPPP me ? I have no idea where I should start.
Stuck , as always,
Lineaxe

LineAxe
August 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
omg , no one has any idea on how to make this ubuntu work as a desktop with my new monitor/tv ... i wonder how difficult it could be, must be a display setting or something !!!

LineAxe
August 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Well I did experiment around , wanted to have a basic LAMP box with VM running another O/S like XP for anytime I wanted a gui.. VMware loaded in ok but failed to run because it couldn't locate a GUI web browser (Firefox)
.. I guess I got to fool around in the bash shell for a while until I could find out where I could change my Settings on ubuntu to something a Sony Bravia TV/monitor could display.. I figured I might be able to boot it up in a safe terminal mode and change over the display settings in the config file.. TURNS out the answer is even EASIER than that!! They have included a button , F4 , on the ubuntu splash startup screen when you insert the ubuntu 9.04 DESKTOP version of the O/S . it will allow you to set the screen to something that SONY's BRAVIA 32S5000 series will understand . So I am back here with my new hardware in linux ,jaunty jackaloping away ...

:guitar: