PDA

View Full Version : Have you convinced anybody to free their software?

Viva
July 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM
A friend or a family member perhaps? Or a company? Before anybody comes up with the usual "don't force others" line, I want to clarify that I'm only talking about educating somebody of the benefits of opening their source code.

ViperChief
July 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Would it count if we tried educating Canonical (i.e. Ubuntu One)?

HappyFeet
July 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I've "liberated" about 12 people.

kk0sse54
July 24th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I have Debian Lxde installed for my sis

DeadSuperHero
July 25th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I used to try to convince friends, but it never worked out very well. Fact is, we live in a Windows world, and the Unix-like way of doing things is too complicated for them sometimes.

That said, my buddy Jake asked me to help him switch (http://linux.com/community/blogs/My-Best-Friend-Now-on-Linux.html), and he enjoys it alot. Not because of the Free Software ideals necessarily, he just likes his setup is all.

He doesn't entirely understand the package manager, though...he usually just installs .exe files with WINE instead...

gamerchick02
July 25th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I've gotten people to switch over to Firefox and Pidgin and things like that on a Windows box, but I haven't gotten people to switch to Linux (any Linux, not just Ubuntu).

Well, we do what we can. We are in a Windows world. You have to work with what you have, I guess.

Amy

jonian_g
July 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I have converted my brother, girlfriend and 3 friends to full time linux (2 on PS3) and 4 other friends of mine dual boot with windows.

Total 9.

Arthur_D
July 25th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Most of you should probably re-read the topic title again: Have you convinced anybody to free their software?

If I understand this right, OP wants to know if anybody have convinced others to open source their software, or something like that.

Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Twitch6000
July 25th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Well since you say free their software then yes I have.

I have gotten all my friends to use firefox or google chrome.

I also showed them open office.

For photoediting since they didn't do to much I showed them paint.net

They enjoy these program alot.

CharmyBee
July 25th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I let them use what they want to use. I believe in freedom of choice. I do not evangelize free software among siblings/parents/relatives.

Viva
July 25th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Most of you should probably re-read the topic title again: Have you convinced anybody to free their software?

If I understand this right, OP wants to know if anybody have convinced others to open source their software, or something like that.

Sorry if I'm mistaken.

You're right

Dullstar
July 25th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Should I open-source my games when they're finished? I'm not sure that's such a good idea... in that case anyways. However, open-sourcing the game engine, I could do that. I just wouldn't open-source level/area coding, because then that make it possible for people to just download all the source code and say it's theirs, no work required except for a few minor tweaks to remove all traces of the original development!

Game engines, though, those can be open-sourced since they are the parts of the games that may be most likely to have major glitches in them. Besides, it's hard to code that kind of stuff, let's help out a fellow developer. Of course, that's if I ever get that far. :D

DeadSuperHero
July 25th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I've never understood one thing about making game engines into Free Software: if you use a FOSS IDE to create a game that runs atop a Free Software gaming engine (for example, idtech3), does my game itself have to be GPL? It's running the FOSS engine, but the code added could be proprietary, a simple instruction set.

If the engine itself is unmodified and used only to put the game together, does it have to be under the GPL?

Dullstar
July 25th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I guess I won't be Open-sourcing the engine then.

xuCGC002
July 25th, 2009, 07:41 AM
EDIT: Oh, sorry, I didn't get the main point of the post. It must be about having someone open their code. Unfortunately I haven't. So carry on.

magmon
July 25th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I am currently trying to get a few of my friends to run ubuntu. One of them asked me to install ubuntu as a duel boot on his desktop, which is a start I guess xD.

Irihapeti
July 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I've written a few bash scripts to help me do useful things, but I wouldn't want to publish them under the GPL. Everyone would die laughing at my awful coding!

TheNosh
July 25th, 2009, 08:54 AM
i haven't gotten anyone to open source any code, but my friend is writing a story and he's releasing it through creative commons, cause i told him about it and he liked the idea

EDIT: sorry, i kinda missed the point with what's below. i'll leave this here if anyone want's to read it.

some time last year my friend Kevin saw me running Hardy and thought it looked awesome, so i told him a bit about it and gave him a live disk.

next thing i knew, he had it installed as his main system. he hasn't looked back since, almost never has to ask me for support, and says he's loving it.

could not have been easier, all i did was burn a CD.