PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple desktops not working

starbase1
July 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
One of the features I really like is being able to switch between mutiple desktops.

But recently it's stopped working. This happened after I tried to increase the number from 2 to 4. Now I only have one! I can click to get the settings, and try to get others, but it does not work.

Is there a way to reset this, or something similar?

I am running Ubuntu 64 bit, 9.04, with the latest updates applied.

wojox
July 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Right click and remove it from panel.

Then right click panel +Add to panel scroll down to Workspace switcher.

SteveDee
July 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM
One of the features I really like is being able to switch between mutiple desktops.

But recently it's stopped working. This happened after I tried to increase the number from 2 to 4. Now I only have one! I can click to get the settings, and try to get others, but it does not work.

Is there a way to reset this, or something similar?

I am running Ubuntu 64 bit, 9.04, with the latest updates applied.

You could try resetting this using the Configuration Editor (under Applications > System Tools).

From this editor navigate to: /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/number_of_desktops and check or change settings.

starbase1
July 26th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Right click remove did not work, but once I'd worked out that I needed to start gconf-editor from a command line (hey I'm getting techie here! :D), that did the trick!

Thanks

starbase1
July 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hmmm... Looks like a spoke too soon.
I have multiple desktops now, but the top left drop down program menus only appear on the first one, and the tiny previews seem bust...