PDA

View Full Version : Question about Netbook Remix top panel

cotocoto
July 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I've installed ubuntu 9.04 NBR on my netbook for couple of months. So far I'm liking it and I intend to install a normal version of ubuntu or even xubuntu for my desktop pc. Now, one feature that I like the most in NBR is how the active window's top bar (the one with window's title and min/max/close buttons) is integrated into the top panel. Hence, giving us a bit more height for viewing the window's content.

So how do i put this feature into normal ubuntu/xubuntu desktop? I'm still quite new with linux having played around with it on for a few months. Thank you in advance.

Brandon Williams
July 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
That behavior is handled by maximus. You will have to configure maximus as one of your startup applications, and then, using gconf-editor, you can configure maximus to undecorate maximized windows. The key in gconf-editor is /apps/maximus/undecorate.

If you just want you maximized windows undecorated, but you don't want windows to be automatically maximized, then enable /apps/maximus/no_maximize.

cotocoto
July 25th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Brandon, thank you for the direction.

However that solves only half of the problem. With undecorated, the top bar go away and the top panel untouched. If you take a look at NBR, the window's top bar title and close button are actually being placed right in the middle of the top panel. So how do we achieve this effect?

Brandon Williams
July 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Oops ... I forgot to mention that you need to add the 'window picker' applet to the tob bar. That's what provides the pseudo-titlebar.

cotocoto
July 26th, 2009, 06:38 AM
ok thank you