PDA

View Full Version : installing mono for C# development

tkearn5000
July 24th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I'm interested in learning C#, and don't want to have to reboot into windows whenever I want to play around with it. Does anyone have any experience using mono for C#?

If so, which mono packages do I have to install?

Also, how does mono compare to Visual Studio?

Thanks,
-Tim

Mirge
July 24th, 2009, 07:20 AM
All I did was install MonoDevelopment from the repositories using synaptic. I am just getting started with C# myself. I'll probably get flamed to hell for this, but so far I am thoroughly enjoying it, much to my surprise!

I'm using Visual C# Express on Vista to play with it though. I have MonoDevelop, but I'm struggling with it. Sticking with Visual C# Express until I get a better grasp on it before I try MonoDevelop again.

jero3n
July 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
about monodevelop IDE:
monodevelop has become a very good and stable IDE after version 2.0 with a lot features. IMO, Visual studio is still better in many aspects, but you will not notice anything for your begginer's purposes.

about mono runtime:
I have only surface knowledge of the mono runtime technical details and the differences between mono.net and ms.net, however I think mono is very fast and stable and 99.9% of usefull .net libraries are implemented in it.

IMO you can use mono.net without any problems in Linux, the only drawback is that it still has not large community of users, comparing to other development environments in Linux.

C# is a pretty language for rapid development, I like its syntax, and it has a powerfull library for almost anything.

Good luck :)

directhex
July 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM
apt:monodevelop

And POSSIBLY (it should already be pulled in by the above)

apt:mono-devel

tkearn5000
July 25th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will stick with Windows Visual C# for now (free version of visual studio for C#) since that's what is used in the book I have. Once I have more of a grasp on the language I will try to switch it over to mono so I can use it on my linux and windows OS's.

Thanks again,
-TK

jero3n
July 25th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I think I will stick with Windows Visual C#

You will get flamed to hell together with Mirge :D

Mirge
July 25th, 2009, 03:05 AM
You will get flamed to hell together with Mirge :D

:lolflag:

monraaf
July 25th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I am just getting started with C# myself. I'll probably get flamed to hell for this, but so far I am thoroughly enjoying it, much to my surprise!

Baiting, aren't we? Good luck, hope for you somebody bites!

Mirge
July 25th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Baiting, aren't we? Good luck, hope for you somebody bites!

I don't get it.