PDA

View Full Version : Human-powered vehicles and/or Mass transit as primary form of transportation

HappinessNow
July 24th, 2009, 05:03 AM
How many have made the life decision to solely rely on Human-powered vehicles (HPV) and/or Mass Transit as a primary form of transportation?

I have and have to say there is no turning back, the decision is easy; actually conditioning your life to only use HPV's does take time. Fortunately I live in a city that is ranked very high for HPV amenities and infrastructure.

This life decision limits where I choose to live, only a handful of cities in the US can accommodate this lifestyle here is a short list:

Portland, Oregon
Boulder, Colorado
Davis, Colorado
San Francisco
Corvallis, Oregon
Fort Collins, Colorado
Madison, Wisconsin
Palo Alto, California
Seattle
Tucson

Outside the US:

Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Sandnes, Norway
Berlin
Barcelona
Basel, Switzerland
Trondheim, Norway

The top two above list were compiled from two sources:
http://www.virgin-vacations.com/site_vv/11-most-bike-friendly-cities.asp
http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bicyclefriendlyamerica/pdfs/bfc_master_list_web.pdf

Keep in mind that bicycles are not the only viable HPV, many people in my city also use skateboards as a primary form of transportation.

Also many combine there HPV with public mass transit some US cities that have outstanding Public Mass Transit System are:

Portland, Oregon
Washington, DC
New York, NY
Chicago, Illinois

Outside the US some top Mass Transit cities are:

Copenhagen
Berlin
Hong Kong
Paris
Seoul, South Korea
London
Taipei, Taiwan
Moscow
Tokyo
Madrid
Montreal
Beijing, China
Sao Paulo, Brazil

The top list were formed in part from the following sources:
http://www.askmen.com/top_10/travel/top-10-public-transit-systems.html
http://www.virgin-vacations.com/site_vv/11-top-underground-transit-systems-in-the-world.asp

So how about you? How many here use Human-powered vehicles and/or Mass Transit as a primary form of transportation?

Little Bit
July 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM
That's all fine for city dwellers but alot harder for us country folk. I suppose I could ride a horse into town or something though, but I would be afraid for my horse with all the crazy drivers! But finding a place to "park" him would probably never be a problem, lol!

Amy

HappinessNow
July 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
That's all fine for city dwellers but alot harder for us country folk. I suppose I could ride a horse into town or something though, but I would be afraid for my horse with all the crazy drivers! But finding a place to "park" him would probably never be a problem, lol!

Amy

Actually in some of the smaller towns on the list, like Corvallis, Oregon with a population of 54 thousand or even in
Fort Collins, Colorado and Boulder, Colorado that may be possible to ride your horse into town.

gn2
July 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM
My life would be impossible without a car.

Whiffle
July 24th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Considering the bus doesn't go anywhere near where I work, and I have to wear nice clothes to work every day (so biking more than a couple of blocks sucks, and your laundry bill goes straight up), so driving is pretty much necessary. On the other hand, all of the busses in this town have bike racks on the front, so in theory you could go pretty much anywhere, although it might take you all day.

koleoptero
July 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Humans pollute more than gas-powered machines. :P

Skripka
July 24th, 2009, 11:51 PM
My life would be impossible without a car.

Ditto.

In the US, unless you live in one of the 15 or so largest cities in the US-mass transit is non-existent, and going anywhere by "human powered vehicle" is at best impractical.

Sorry, since the death of light rail in the US, courtesy of Firestone and the lobbies in Detroit--living in the 90% of the US land-mass OUTSIDE of the few metropolises is impossible without a car.

hansdown
July 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I seriously question whether the people who made those mass transit lists, and included Vancouver, B.C. have ever taken more than a cursory joy ride on the system.

I've used that system for periods of 8 months to a year and a half over the last few years, and it's not that user friendly.

ghindo
July 25th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Sorry, since the death of light rail in the US, courtesy of Firestone and the lobbies in Detroit--living in the 90% of the US land-mass OUTSIDE of the few metropolises is impossible without a car.Hey, Portland, OR has a pretty great light rail system (which is continuing to grow), and Seattle just opened up their first light rail line. I think if anything we may be witnessing a rebirth of light rail in the United States. :)

HappinessNow
July 25th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hey, Portland, OR has a pretty great light rail system (which is continuing to grow), and Seattle just opened up their first light rail line. I think if anything we may be witnessing a rebirth of light rail in the United States. :)

Portland, OR is an exceptional city and a shining example of when things are done right, but Portland is unique among American cities.

I seriously question whether the people who made those mass transit lists, and included Vancouver, B.C. have ever taken more than a cursory joy ride on the system.

I've used that system for periods of 8 months to a year and a half over the last few years, and it's not that user friendly.
I actually re-checked both list and Vancouver is not on either one of them, I put that on the list based on personal experience on visiting Vancouver BC, hence why I stated:

The top list were formed in part from the following sources:

Since you are more of an authority then I, in having lived their I will remove it from the OP list.

If anybody else feels any other cities should be added or removed please let me know.

Skripka
July 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Hey, Portland, OR has a pretty great light rail system (which is continuing to grow), and Seattle just opened up their first light rail line. I think if anything we may be witnessing a rebirth of light rail in the United States. :)

The rise in gas prices last year-KILLED the already pathetic bus service here....as well as other areas.

hansdown
July 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM
今幸福.

I didn't intend to sound harsh, but the reality of using the system is different for each rider, dependant upon their needs. Someone else could very well have a joyful experience, I'm sure.

HappinessNow
July 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM
今幸福.

I didn't intend to sound harsh, but the reality of using the system is different for each rider, dependant upon their needs. Someone else could very well have a joyful experience, I'm sure.

I made my evaluation only as a visitor not living there, so admittedly it may have been bias and maybe skewed.

The rest of the entries are developed from sources.

Superkoop
July 25th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I live in a small town, and indeed I try my best to use only HPV. In fact I do not even have a license yet (I'm 19, most get one at 14), I don't find good purpose for one at this point in my life. However cars are needed often, sadly though. It would indeed be nice if we could reshape our society to not rely upon the almighty automobile so flipping much though.

aysiu
July 25th, 2009, 12:57 AM
My wife and I did get rid of our car two years ago, and it's been great, but I have to disagree with your list of cities with great public transportation:
San Francisco
Portland, Oregon
Washington, DC
New York, NY
Boston, Massachusetts
Chicago, Illinois Portland does, indeed, have great public transit. But San Francisco and Boston definitely do not.

By the way, HPV can lead to cervical cancer.

nubimax
July 25th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I live in Mexico there is a saying here if there is a road there is a bus. With that I will say that the Grayhound buses that I have seen in the U.S would not even make second class buses here in Mexico. Here I can go any where in the country on a bus. Because of my age I don't like ridding them for more then 8 hours a day. And I do take taxis for short trips, like from the bus station to the hotel.
M

HappinessNow
July 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM
My wife and I did get rid of our car two years ago, and it's been great, but I have to disagree with your list of cities with great public transportation: Portland does, indeed, have great public transit. But San Francisco and Boston definitely do not.

Based on your input I will remove San Francisco and Boston, unless we hear other wise.

Congratulations on living a car free life!

By the way, HPV can lead to cervical cancer.

LOL!...that it does!