PDA

View Full Version : Making a green-themed desktop, need help

veryannoyed
July 24th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Hi, I am an Ubuntu newbie who bought a netbook with Ubuntu installed on it. I have determined I like the regular Ubuntu better than the Dell remix I was given, but I want to make a green theme. It was blue by default and looked so Windowsey.

EDIT: I figured out half of my question myself. However: Is there any chance I can change the color of some of these icons, like the trash, wireless bars and battery from blue to green? Green is my favorite color. Thanks!

Edit again: OK, I noticed I can add a green battery to my panel, but it doesn't give me a remaining time estimate like my blue default one does. WTF!

mcduck
July 24th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hi, I am an Ubuntu newbie who bought a netbook with Ubuntu installed on it. I have determined I like the regular Ubuntu better than the Dell remix I was given, but I want to make a green theme. It was blue by default and looked so Windowsey.

EDIT: I figured out half of my question myself. However: Is there any chance I can change the color of some of these icons, like the trash, wireless bars and battery from blue to green? Green is my favorite color. Thanks!

Edit again: OK, I noticed I can add a green battery to my panel, but it doesn't give me a remaining time estimate like my blue default one does. WTF!

OF course you can change the color of any icon, it just requires editing them by hand with some image editor. What you'd most likely want to do is to use some green icon theme in the first place.

I recommend getting the gnome-colors -package (or even better, adding their PPA repository to your sources for easy access to the whole themeset & it's updates). Very nice and complete theme set and has a great green version.