PDA

View Full Version : Open source warzones.

munky99999
July 24th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Well I'm wondering. Where do you guys think the future large warzones are going to be?

My guess will be foremost being Active Directory. Second I think will be the office applications... MS office...open office... etc.

Third might be visualization. Perhaps bring it essentially inline with actual OS... like full 3d acceleration across the board.

The internet browser war will likely plateau I think for awhile.

Last big one in the next few years to come will be the GIMP vs photoshop. Gimp undoubtably will become on par with photoshop in the next 1-2 years. It certainly isnt there yet. When this happens. I bet there will be a large war.

What do you guys think?

phrostbyte
July 24th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Office apps ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'd say Office apps (eg: OOo) is more serious warzone because it takes the war to the proprietary OS(es).

I'd like a AD competitor native to Linux. Active Directory IMO is crap in so many ways, but it's the best crap out there.

We can do so much better thanks to Ubuntu/Debian package architecture: we can have true software management and auditing. We have local policy a la PolicyKit and SELinux. But there isn't the drive for some reason to turn any of this goodness into a cohesive multi node management tool.

Having good open source user-friendly, and powerful sysadmin tools for managing multiple users and computers is important I think if a Linux desktop OS wants to get the out of the hobbyist/home user market. :)

Google might be a good case study for this.

lykwydchykyn
July 24th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Office apps ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'd say Office apps (eg: OOo) is more serious warzone because it takes the war to the proprietary OS(es).

I'd like a AD competitor native to Linux. Active Directory IMO is crap in so many ways, but it's the best crap out there.

eDirectory isn't so bad. And it runs on Linux, though it's not free (in either sense) or open source. It doesn't integrate with Windows quite as well, but that's hardly surprising...

We can do so much better thanks to Ubuntu/Debian package architecture: we can have true software management and auditing. We have local policy a la PolicyKit and SELinux. But there isn't the drive for some reason to turn any of this goodness into a cohesive multi node management tool.

I asked about this once to some professional debian/linux admins. I think the basic consensus was that most major deployments of Linux are using thin clients talking to something like an LTSP server, so an AD-like tool is not needed.

I guess when Samba-4 goes stable, we'll have a free implementation of AD. I agree I'd like to have seen something easy and friendly come out of LDAP/SELinux/PolicyKit/etc, but like you said the will wasn't there.

I think the future battles are going to be played out more in the mobile space with netbooks and smartphones. I don't know where the cloud thing is really going with your average user, but I think it's where the tech companies will be looking for a while.

munky99999
July 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Which is what samba is supposed to be. It would be sooo much better if ya... linux designed their own using linux factors... not pretending to be windows. Then built in compatibility with edirectory and ad and everything. The problem here is... afaik nobody is doing it.

I think the future battles are going to be played out more in the mobile space with netbooks and smartphones.
Oh good point.

don't know where the cloud thing is really going with your average user, but I think it's where the tech companies will be looking for a while.
big corps will invest in making their intranets into these. Many already have somewhat. There isnt even a slight chance though cloud computing will be able to move to residential. Why? Internet access.

I'm in Canada... in one of the main cities. I get 1.5mbit down. I then have my internet throttled because "im causing congestion" On top of that... Bell also wants to put into place Usage based billing. Which means... you're going to pay EPICALLY just to use cloud computing.

t0p
July 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm in Canada... in one of the main cities. I get 1.5mbit down. I then have my internet throttled because "im causing congestion" On top of that... Bell also wants to put into place Usage based billing. Which means... you're going to pay EPICALLY just to use cloud computing.

Can't you change your provider? Per usage charging makes a mockery of the entire web 2.0 concept.

munky99999
July 24th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Can't you change your provider? Per usage charging makes a mockery of the entire web 2.0 concept.

actually in 99% of cases... you cant. There are 2 services... cable and DSL. 2-3 companies control those pipes. They force this on you.

This is the era where Bell sympatico gives their customers 2 gig caps per month. Which means you pretty much at most... 2 hours of using your internet... you are now paying significantly more for your service... or get cut off.