PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] startup seems slow

stoogiebuncho
July 24th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I just moved from Hardy to Jaunty and was anticipating the faster boot times. Unfortunately, I find that my computer takes 10ish seconds LONGER to boot in Jaunty than it did in Hardy.

I installed bootchart to see if I could figure anything out, but it says my computer is boot in 23 seconds (see attached).

In reality, it takes over a minute to load the GUI. So the problem must come after bootchart stops paying attention.

I'm willing to do some work to figure this out myself, but I'm not sure where to start. Anyone have any pointers?

llamabr
July 24th, 2009, 03:33 AM
My boot time increased too. I'm not worried, since there are now more, and bigger, applications starting. Why would you think it would go down?

stoogiebuncho
July 24th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I had thought that faster boot times was one of the main improvements advertised in Jaunty. Perhaps I misunderstood.

I don't really care about boot times - but since I thought it would be faster, I was worried there was some error somewhere slowing things down.

philcamlin
July 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I had thought that faster boot times was one of the main improvements advertised in Jaunty. Perhaps I misunderstood.

I don't really care about boot times - but since I thought it would be faster, I was worried there was some error somewhere slowing things down.

mine is like 1-2 seconds slower then hardy

this is normal its not an issue its just 9.04 has more things to load then hardy and if yoou have any themes installed etc...

stoogiebuncho
July 24th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Good enough for me. Thanks for the info.

cariboo
July 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Are you using ext4? that will definitely speed things up.