PDA

View Full Version : alarm clock that will play music to wake me up ?

djmh
July 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
uhhhm, well if you know of a website or program i can download that will play a song of mine to wake me up that would be great ....

thanks !

Regenweald
July 24th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Exaile has an alarm clock plugin. Not sure how many other players have such a feature. I've used it a few times.

Superkoop
July 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
sudo apt-get install alarm-clock
;)

-Seriously...

unforgiven512
July 24th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I find the alarm-clock package wonderful =D

It's very customizable, and the templates -- awesome.

Would be pretty sweet if it pulled the birthdays from your contacts in evolution.

LookTJ
July 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM
You could use cron as an alarm :)

command vlc to play a media file.

moster
July 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
;)

-Seriously...

OMG, how simple and easy install, look and behave. Near perfection, thanks :D

myusername
July 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM
i personally use the alarmclock plugin for rhythmbox and it works great. just google it and you'll find it pretty easily

unforgiven512
July 24th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Also, for the record, I've always found the alarm at onlineclock.net (http://www.onlineclock.net) to work quite well. It's web/flash based. And it doesn't exactly play music. But it does its job.

capnthommo
July 24th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Re: alarm clock that will play music to wake me up ?
Code:

hey, really excellent. thanks from me too. brilliant.
:)

misterfixit
September 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
hey, really excellent. thanks from me too. brilliant.
:)

here is an example: once you run alarm-clock and set it to do it's thing, try this for a test (place in the "execute a command entry area":

audacious --play http://everego.com:8000/classic

RabbitWho
September 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Is it safe to leave a laptop plugged in and turned on all night? I can't help but wonder if I'd be seriously hurting its life span.

bodyharvester
September 15th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Is it safe to leave a laptop plugged in and turned on all night? I can't help but wonder if I'd be seriously hurting its life span.

i started a thread not long ago asking the same, plenty of stuff on that there, maybe give it a bump if youre really concerned?

here it is -
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1251532

RabbitWho
September 15th, 2009, 01:29 PM
i started a thread not long ago asking the same, plenty of stuff on that there, maybe give it a bump if youre really concerned?

here it is -
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1251532

Thanks! :)

I took a look at the alarm clock anyway, it's excellent.. you an set different allarms for different days.. wonderful for me because I start work at a different hour every day.. and I know what you're thinking.. just pick the earliest time you have to get up and get up at that time every day.. but the earliest morning for me is 6 and every evening ends at 8, so basically as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm asleep.
Anyway this would really help me, and being woken up by music and not the infernal beep would reduce my stress levels... though i'll need the beep for backup.

bodyharvester
September 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM

I took a look at the alarm clock anyway, it's excellent.. you an set different allarms for different days.. wonderful for me because I start work at a different hour every day.. and I know what you're thinking.. just pick the earliest time you have to get up and get up at that time every day.. but the earliest morning for me is 6 and every evening ends at 8, so basically as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm asleep.
Anyway this would really help me, and being woken up by music and not the infernal beep would reduce my stress levels... though i'll need the beep for backup.

which alarm clock? the apt-get or a music player? im gonna use exaile to wake me up to the Dethalbum II

RabbitWho
September 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM
which alarm clock? the apt-get or a music player? im gonna use exaile to wake me up to the Dethalbum II

The apt get one works as a music player. (but probably just plays one song as opposed to going through the whole folder, I haven't tried yet, but if there's a way to get it to go through the folder I'd be happy to hear it)
Bjork is going to wake me up ha ha.

What else was I going to say.. it's completely slipped my mind

pwnst*r
September 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM

also, you can use Audacity to fade the music in gradually, which helps even with softer music (unless of course one of these programs adjusts that for you).

bodyharvester
September 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
also, you can use Audacity to fade the music in gradually, which helps even with softer music (unless of course one of these programs adjusts that for you).

i think exaile does

Jesus_Valdez
September 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I use alarm-clok and its great.

I like the way I can put some nice words to woke me up each morning, it's great to wake up and see something like "you're awesome" with great music in my laptop.

misterfixit
September 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM

I seriously doubt that it would hurt it's lifespan. If the laptop is plugged into the wall then it is running on wall power with a trickle charge to the battery. Assuming you have the screen saver set and so forth, it will simply come to life once alarm-clock runs. As for life span, you most likely will not own it more than a few years at the most, as the permanent implantation brain to Internet is coming along in the next 10 years.