PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Using a script to 7zip multiple files individually

mrmooge88
July 23rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
Yesterday I was needing to use 7zip to pack multiple files in the same directory to multiple separate compressed archives.

I was wanting to take some files from the same directory: File1, File2, File3, ... and turn them into: File1.7z, File2.7z ... (The actual files are not sequential)

Since I was using the flag for maximum compression it was taking awhile for each file. Not wanting to babysit the computer I ended up writing a really dirty bash script to compress them individually. The script kind of worked but had a few errors in it because I typed everything out. Today I am trying to figure out how I could have wrote it better. All the files had the same extension and and I wanted each compressed file to have the same name as the original. Any tips on how it could have been improved? This was a one time use script.

date >> ~/Desktop/7z.log
cd Path/to/directory
7z a -t7z -mx9 ./File1.7z ./File1 >> ~/Desktop/7z.log
7z a -t7z -mx9 ./File2.7z ./File2 >> ~/Desktop/7z.log

Zorael
July 24th, 2009, 12:38 AM
My bash-fu is weak, but;

for X in *;
do
7z a -t7z -mx9 $X.7z $X >> ~/Desktop/7z.log
done
Of course, if you need to do better file selection than just *, you can do something like;

for X in $(ls | grep File | grep -v .log | grep -v .nfo);
do
7z a -t7z -mx9 $X.7z $X >> ~/Desktop/7z.log
done

mike_tyrell
February 10th, 2010, 09:33 AM
thank u

mister_playboy
February 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I had been wondering how to set this up... thanks! :)

talbain
August 27th, 2010, 09:52 AM
This doesn't seem to work if filenames include spaces, how could i achieve this regardless?
Is there a GUI solution to this? I think the "Compress..." context menu dialog should have this option, as well as "Delete source files after compression".

mrmooge88
August 28th, 2010, 12:34 AM
There should be quotes around the variables. So it should be something like

for X in *;
do
7z a -t7z -mx9 "$X".7z "$X" >> ~/Desktop/7z.log
done

All I did was change all the instances of:$X to "$X"