View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen after install reboot

July 23rd, 2009, 10:55 PM

I'm new to linux in every way but figured I'd give it a try on my home pc. The specs are

Asus P6T
2x Nvidia 9800GT (Sli)
6gigs ram
i7 920
500GB HD(Win7 64bit)
250GB HD(WinXP)
120GB HD(Ubuntu v9.04 64bit)

My main problem is that I've installed ubunu 9.04 64-bit and after it finishes and get to the point asking you to reboot. All goes fine but once the bois post screens clear I'm left with a black screen and a blinking cursor. This also happend with Fedora64. I don't know what could be causeing the issue but I was able to boot to the OS useing the livecd option and all is well. I haven't tried anything else thus far but would like any possible help.

Hope thats enough base info to work off, if not I can dig up more.

July 23rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry about your problem and I can't help you with it but I'll take the liberty of offering some advice; when I first got Ubuntu I also installed 9.04 64-bit. Although it works just fine, it's not the best one to get for a beginner and especially someone who just started using Ubuntu. I recommend getting 8.10LTS, it is the most stable and always get 32-bit unless you have 5g+ RAM/quad CPU because it only makes a difference in performance under those circumstances. 64-bit also is known to have compatibility issues with programs that are only meant for the 32-bit. I experienced these problems myself.

I would say to reinstall Ubuntu with 8.10LTS 32-bit.

July 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
probably incomnpatible video card or something along those lines :(

if it did it with fedora too its most lkely hardware and not ubuntu

does it do that too when its in the live cd??

8.10 was a stable version :o

but 9.04 my fav so far :D

July 24th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I'll have to give 8.10 a try and see what all happens. Since I have 6gigs of RAM Win7 runs great and thought 64bit ubuntu would as well but who knew this was going to happen.

When I had the install cd in my pc I choose the option it gave for me to boot into ubuntu using the livecd feature. It loaded and I went to the desktop. Even jumped on firefox and looked at these forums. Mind you this was done after I had installed the OS and rebooted to only be met with a black screen and a blinking cursor. I did install the 32bit version on my Alienware(pos) laptop and it took to Ubuntu like it was ment to be.

Anyway thanks for the info and advise on said OS.

July 24th, 2009, 03:47 AM
All goes fine but once the bois post screens clear I'm left with a black screen and a blinking cursor.

Reminds me when DOS was having a bad day on one of the PCs in the old school times. LOL.

(In the old school times, usually a resource conflict or a Novell NetWare LAN problem on one of the DOS and Windows 3.1 PCs.) ;)

Probably a corrupted installation. Sorry. :(

July 24th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Well, I reinstalled but when I got to the final step, step 7 I went to the advanced tab and noticed that it wasn't using the hard drive I had chosen to install on for the boot loader. I ended up picking it and at the writing of this. I am currently running on a clean install of Ubuntu.....

Now for updates and all that comes with a clean install.